AussieSusan
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:48 pm

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:12 am

I just want to say a very big THANK YOU for the work you have done and especially for the install-wifi script.
I was having all sorts of problems and this installed the drivers so simply.
Susan

MikeTRSA
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:02 pm

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:11 pm

Hi
Thanks for all your efforts MrEngman

Just to clarify,
Does this mean the RTL8812AU chipset is now capable of monitor mode in the latest version of Rasbian?

MrEngman
Posts: 3844
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:07 pm

MikeTRSA wrote:Hi
Thanks for all your efforts MrEngman

Just to clarify,
Does this mean the RTL8812AU chipset is now capable of monitor mode in the latest version of Rasbian?
What are you referring to? I have no idea if monitor mode works as I only use the drivers to connect my Pis to APs.



MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

tml3nr
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:24 am

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:14 am

Many many thanks to MrEngman, with your script (install-wifi v5), 3 usb wifi 5GHz below work like a charm on RPI2/Volumio 4.4.9-v7+:

- Linksys WUSB6300 (RTL8812au)
- D-Link DWA-171 A1 (RTL8811au)
- Edimax EW-7811UTC (RTL8811au)

But on RPI2/RuneAudio 4.1.20-1-ARCH, after follow many help on the web, I do not know how to make it work.

Please help me install Linksys WUSB6300 on RuneAudio 4.1.20-1-ARCH. I am very grateful for your help!

Thank you again!

Code: Select all

[root@runeaudio ~]# uname -a
Linux runeaudio 4.1.20-1-ARCH #1 SMP Sat Mar 19 20:07:23 MDT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
Image
Last edited by tml3nr on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

ufergus
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:58 pm

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:09 pm

MrEngman,

Can you provide the source you are compiling for the 8812au driver or point us at the repo you are referencing? While I appreciate the binaries you provide, I like to tinker and experiment myself. Thanks!

MrEngman
Posts: 3844
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:22 pm

ufergus wrote:MrEngman,

Can you provide the source you are compiling for the 8812au driver or point us at the repo you are referencing? While I appreciate the binaries you provide, I like to tinker and experiment myself. Thanks!
I am currently using the driver source from here https://github.com/diederikdehaas/rtl8812AU.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Lotus77
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:19 am

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:25 am

Hello Mr Engman,

Any chance you can include the latest driver for the Edimax EW-7811UTC (RTL8811au) running on OSMC?

MrEngman
Posts: 3844
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:13 pm

Lotus77 wrote:Hello Mr Engman,

Any chance you can include the latest driver for the Edimax EW-7811UTC (RTL8811au) running on OSMC?
Post the output of command uname -a and I'll see what I can do.


MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Lotus77
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:19 am

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:09 am

Linux Pi 4.4.27-4-osmc #1 PREEMPT Tue Nov 22 02:25:13 UTC 2016 armv6l GNU/Linux

modinfo 8812au | grep v4
version: v4.2.2_7502.20130517

In Kodi, video playback stops after a minute or so, otherwise all other network traffic seems to work ok.

Your help in getting me to try the latest driver would be appreciated.

Lotus77
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:19 am

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:38 am

Hi MrEngMan,

I tried your precompiled 8812au-4.4.34-v7-930.tar.gz and I see no change in performance; I still get stalls in data traffic and video playback stops.

Edimax pointed me to this location for an open source driver: https://github.com/gnab/rtl8812au

During compilation I get this error message below, any ideas what is wrong?

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE= -C /usr/src/rbp1-headers-4.4.27-4-osmc M=/home/osmc/rtl8812au modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/rbp1-headers-4.4.27-4-osmc'
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_cmd.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_security.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_debug.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_io.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_ioctl_query.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_ioctl_set.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_ieee80211.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_mlme.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_mlme_ext.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_wlan_util.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_vht.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_pwrctrl.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_rf.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_recv.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_sta_mgt.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_ap.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_xmit.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_p2p.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_tdls.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_br_ext.o
In file included from include/linux/filter.h:16:0,
from include/net/sock.h:62,
from include/net/inet_sock.h:27,
from include/net/ip.h:30,
from /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_br_ext.c:24:
include/net/sch_generic.h: In function ‘skb_at_tc_ingress’:
include/net/sch_generic.h:414:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘G_TC_AT’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
return G_TC_AT(skb->tc_verd) & AT_INGRESS;
^
include/net/sch_generic.h:414:33: error: ‘AT_INGRESS’ undeclared (first use in this function)
return G_TC_AT(skb->tc_verd) & AT_INGRESS;
^
include/net/sch_generic.h:414:33: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
scripts/Makefile.build:258: recipe for target '/home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_br_ext.o' failed
make[2]: *** [/home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_br_ext.o] Error 1
Makefile:1400: recipe for target '_module_/home/osmc/rtl8812au' failed
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/osmc/rtl8812au] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/rbp1-headers-4.4.27-4-osmc'
Makefile:1052: recipe for target 'modules' failed
make: *** [modules] Error 2

MrEngman
Posts: 3844
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:41 pm

Lotus77 wrote:Hi MrEngMan,

I tried your precompiled 8812au-4.4.34-v7-930.tar.gz and I see no change in performance; I still get stalls in data traffic and video playback stops.

Edimax pointed me to this location for an open source driver: https://github.com/gnab/rtl8812au

During compilation I get this error message below, any ideas what is wrong?

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE= -C /usr/src/rbp1-headers-4.4.27-4-osmc M=/home/osmc/rtl8812au modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/rbp1-headers-4.4.27-4-osmc'
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_cmd.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_security.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_debug.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_io.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_ioctl_query.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_ioctl_set.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_ieee80211.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_mlme.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_mlme_ext.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_wlan_util.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_vht.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_pwrctrl.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_rf.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_recv.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_sta_mgt.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_ap.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_xmit.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_p2p.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_tdls.o
CC [M] /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_br_ext.o
In file included from include/linux/filter.h:16:0,
from include/net/sock.h:62,
from include/net/inet_sock.h:27,
from include/net/ip.h:30,
from /home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_br_ext.c:24:
include/net/sch_generic.h: In function ‘skb_at_tc_ingress’:
include/net/sch_generic.h:414:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘G_TC_AT’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
return G_TC_AT(skb->tc_verd) & AT_INGRESS;
^
include/net/sch_generic.h:414:33: error: ‘AT_INGRESS’ undeclared (first use in this function)
return G_TC_AT(skb->tc_verd) & AT_INGRESS;
^
include/net/sch_generic.h:414:33: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
scripts/Makefile.build:258: recipe for target '/home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_br_ext.o' failed
make[2]: *** [/home/osmc/rtl8812au/core/rtw_br_ext.o] Error 1
Makefile:1400: recipe for target '_module_/home/osmc/rtl8812au' failed
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/osmc/rtl8812au] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/rbp1-headers-4.4.27-4-osmc'
Makefile:1052: recipe for target 'modules' failed
make: *** [modules] Error 2
Unfortunately wifi module manufacturers don't seem to care to much about supplying drivers for Linux. Looking at the source Edimax pointed you to it does appear to be largely pretty old which may be why you have the problem you have.

You could try here https://github.com/diederikdehaas/rtl8812AU. There are several different versions 4.3.8, 4.3.14, 4.3.20 and 4.3.22-beta.



MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Lotus77
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:19 am

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:53 pm

I get the exact same compilation error with the source you've provided.

MrEngman
Posts: 3844
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:18 pm

Lotus77 wrote:I get the exact same compilation error with the source you've provided.
No idea what the issue is then.

I have no problems compiling any of the diederikdehaas drivers.

One thing I found a bit odd. You say you tried the driver I compiled 8812au-4.4.34-v7-930.tar.gz which is for PI 2B, 3B but the info you posted about the compile error would seem to indicate you are compiling it for a Pi 1, or B+
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE= -C /usr/src/rbp1-headers-4.4.27-4-osmc M=/home/osmc/rtl8812au modules
Just a bit confusing.



MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Lotus77
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:19 am

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:11 pm

Yes, I used 8812au-4.4.34-v7-930.tar.gz on a Gen 1 Model B and it worked apart from having the same kodi stalling symptoms I can't seem to shake off.

Wondering if you can kindly compile me one?

MrEngman
Posts: 3844
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:53 pm

Lotus77 wrote:Yes, I used 8812au-4.4.34-v7-930.tar.gz on a Gen 1 Model B and it worked apart from having the same kodi stalling symptoms I can't seem to shake off.

Wondering if you can kindly compile me one?
I find that rather hard to believe as it is compiled to work with a Pi 2B or 3B.

I'll have a look at compiling a driver but it's not as easy as compiling for Raspbian so may take some time.



MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Lotus77
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:19 am

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:58 pm

I was able to compile https://github.com/diederikdehaas/rtl88 ... ver-4.3.20 using apt-get install linux-headers-4.4.0-1-rpi however the Kodi video playback stop still occurs after a few seconds in 5 GHz .ac mode. I've disabled background scans in connman.

MrEngman
Posts: 3844
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:45 pm

Lotus77 wrote:I was able to compile https://github.com/diederikdehaas/rtl88 ... ver-4.3.20 using apt-get install linux-headers-4.4.0-1-rpi however the Kodi video playback stop still occurs after a few seconds in 5 GHz .ac mode. I've disabled background scans in connman.
Sorry I didn't get round to creating a compiled driver as I've gone down with a really bad cold and I'm in no state to do much at the moment.

There are a couple of other versions of the code available but whether either of those will fix your problem I don't know. I would expect not. Mind you what if it is an issue with Kodi rather than the wifi driver.

I did some tests using iperf and had my Pi running for more than 24hrs with no apparent problems. Bandwidth was around about 94-95 Mbits/sec, transferring approx. 40 GBytes/hr.



MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Lotus77
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:19 am

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:27 pm

In 5 GHz .ac mode I get the same 80-100Mbps throughputs with iperf and samba file copies. It is a peculiar situation however with Kodi where the first 10-20MB come through fast and then traffic just stalls forcing the video to stop. This issue with Kodi does not happen when in 2.4 GHz mode.

buffalo0207
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:43 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:04 pm

Hi,

I have DietPi installed on a Raspberry Pi 3, which just automatically updated the kernel to:

root@DietPi-2:~# uname -a
Linux DietPi-2 4.4.44-v7+ #2 SMP Wed Jan 25 23:12:28 UTC 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Is there an updated driver I could use to get my dongle working again?

Cheers...

User avatar
SteveDee
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Sunny Southern England
Contact: Website

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:16 am

Lotus77 wrote:In 5 GHz .ac mode ...This issue with Kodi does not happen when in 2.4 GHz mode.
This looks very similar to a problem I have with BBC radio streams: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=149242&p=981452#p981452

I've just picked this problem up for a second look, as 2.4GHz is v.busy locally and interference is a problem, but I'm the only one using 5GHz.

The Edimax AC600 works on my Lubuntu laptop at 5GHz with the BBC streams. So its not the dongle or the driver when compiled for x64. Sorry, I have the same problem on my laptop with the gnab driver. When I tested it, it just happened to run for a couple of minutes so I thought it was working.

Please post back if you find a solution.

tbqnzdypdrkw
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:38 am

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:47 am

I got my EW-7811UTC finally run on 5GHz (!) with the help of https://layereight.de/raspberry-pi/2016 ... 812au.html (THANKS!). Only with this how-to I could see 5GHz WIFIs. Afterwards I had to switch my WLAN 5GHz router settings to channel "36, 40, 44, 48" instead of "automatic". Of course less channels, but a almost all neighbours jumping around at 2.4GHz channels ;)

tbqnzdypdrkw
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:38 am

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:17 pm

I can run EW-7811UTC now with 5GHz WIFI!
Thanks to this great how-to https://layereight.de/raspberry-pi/2016 ... 812au.html I could find 5Ghz WIFI around, but in beginning to mine..
I had to switch to WIFI Channels "36, 40, 44, 48" instead of "automatic" setting in my router.

bluenote
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:25 am

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:26 pm

Is the RTL8811AU chipset a good choice if I want to make an access point out of a pi? The other use would be with libre elec just as a client. thanks

afatcouch
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:19 pm

please help. i need a driver.
Linux raspberrypi 4.4.50-v7+ #970 SMP Mon Feb 20 19:18:29 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

MrEngman
Posts: 3844
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Edimax EW-7811UTC Raspbian

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:41 am

afatcouch wrote:please help. i need a driver.
Linux raspberrypi 4.4.50-v7+ #970 SMP Mon Feb 20 19:18:29 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Code: Select all

wget http://fars-robotics.net/8812au-4.4.50-v7-970.tar.gz
tar xzf 8812au-4.4.50-v7-970.tar.gz
./install.sh

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Return to “Troubleshooting”