RadioactiveRetard

I think i overvolted mi pi through the usb port

Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:50 am

So it started when i accidentally got a RaspberryPI model A+ instead of B

I wanted to be able to use more than 1 usb port so i bought a powered usb hub that had a cool feature it had switches that let you turn on individual usb ports but it came without the dc adapter and when i went to try and look for it online i couldn't find the exact one

So i bought a break out board for a female usb micro B plug removed the dc jack and soldered it on where the DC jack was.

I connected the powered usb hub to a 5v 1A wall charger and it all lit up well everything seemed fine, i didn't smell burning plastic so i plugged it in to the pi.

Flipped on 3 usb ports, one for a memory stick another for a keyboard and the last one for a usb wifi adapter

But nothing came on the screen
The power LED was lit on the pi
I touched around and felt the CPU getting really hot so i disconnected it and panicked
it was plugged in for about 20-30 seconds

I looked around and thought i had everything well soldered but i had a 5v line connected to D- (data) by a thin strand of solder and it was going into the pi

Im not exactly sure if that was the problem but it seems like it

Now my Pi wont make it past the rainbow screen

I've read about polyfuses but i don't know exactly what they do
It was a christmas present and i feel bad for breaking it :/
Is there any way of getting it back?

Any help will be appreciated
Thank you in advance

DougieLawson

Re: I think i overvolted mi pi through the usb port

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:27 am

Try a fresh SDCard (or format and rebuild your existing SDCard). Getting the rainbow screen means you are probably OK, you've just trashed your SDCard some how.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Ravenous

Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:33 am

RadioactiveRetard wrote:I looked around and thought i had everything well soldered but i had a 5v line connected to D- (data) by a thin strand of solder and it was going into the pi
Well I don't know if that will fry the rpi; it may, it may not. (5V directly into the raspi's SoC chip doesn't necessarily destroy it. Note I haven't seen an A+ schematic, so I'm just assuming that line connects directly to the SoC.)

I would try again as Dougie suggested, and set it up as simply as possible - just a keyboard plugged into the USB connector and 5V power to the usual Micro USB power connector. With luck it may still be OK, good luck...

drgeoff

Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:30 am

Worth a try with a fresh card but a hot CPU is a bad sign and almost always means the RPi is effectively dead.

RadioactiveRetard

Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:23 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Try a fresh SDCard (or format and rebuild your existing SDCard). Getting the rainbow screen means you are probably OK, you've just trashed your SDCard some how.
Ravenous wrote: I would try again as Dougie suggested, and set it up as simply as possible - just a keyboard plugged into the USB connector and 5V power to the usual Micro USB power connector. With luck it may still be OK, good luck...
I'll do that when I get home and post what I get
drgeoff wrote:Worth a try with a fresh card but a hot CPU is a bad sign and almost always means the RPi is effectively dead.
thats what I thought
im hoping for the best though

Thanks people

RadioactiveRetard

Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:44 pm

I dont have that much SDcards just 3 and i fully formated all 3 and tried them on

One with RetroPie another with Noobs and the last one with Raspbian and none of them get past the Rainbow screen i even tried boot_delay=1 in the config file to no avail :/

I guess that's it right?

Return to “Troubleshooting”