trondis23

Hacking or self-destruction?

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:19 am

I have twice experienced a disastrous behaviour on my Pi: My Samba share had all the files wiped out. It was around 600 GB of music files. The rest of the files on the hard disc was intact, this affected only the music folder, which I had set up as a Samba share on my Pi. The hard disc itself is attached to my router. In addition to these files, I had also lost the server and player programs/folders on the Pi. Everything in my /home/pi folder was erased, while the rest was there.

I have experienced SD card corruption before, but this is not it. So I wonder if anyone has experienced something similar. Has a prankster hacked my system, or has my programs self-destructed and wiped out everything in my /home/pi folder itself?

RaTTuS

Re: Hacking or self-destruction?

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:21 am

is it connected to the internet
do you have the user pi disabled
do you used keys or password to log in
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

trondis23

Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:17 am

Yes, it is on the internet, Pi user is not disabled, and I use a password to log in. I will still be on the Internet, but I will change my passwords. Anything else I should do? And is hacking the only possible cause of this?

RaTTuS

Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:27 am

personally I'd reflash the RPI - if it has been hacked then anything you type on it could be logged and transmitted to a 3rd party
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

cpc464

Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:06 pm

As rattus said, blat the SD card with a fresh installation.

If logging into ssh over the internet, take some of the common security precautions. Eg. use ssh keys, and a long passphrase, disable Pi user, perhaps run ssh on a high, obscure port. There are many guides out there.
Unix engineer since 1989

Return to “Troubleshooting”