jakeblues

X hangs - no mouse, no keyboard

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:40 am

Hi there,

i am using Debian squeeze on my just delivered RPi.

it seems to work fine as long as I don't startx. If I do, X comes up, I see the background image, a mouse pointer, the task bar with processor monitor working, but I cannot operate it anymore.
My mouse (recognised as Logitech USB optical mouse) does mot move the pointer nor does the keyboard work anymore. I cannot even switch back to (any) text console or kill X by CRTL+ALT+Backspace.
Any idea what i can do to find the root cause?

jake

Nr90

Re: X hangs - no mouse, no keyboard

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:47 pm

Do you have another power adapter you could try?

jakeblues

Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:36 pm

I use a smartphone power supply and alternatively a USB cable from my PC. Does not make a difference...

Nr90

Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:01 pm

Is your power supply rated at 1A + ?

Another thing you could try is installing Debian wheezy. It is beta, but IMO more mature then squeeze in many areas.

johnbeetem

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:47 pm

It sounds a lot like a power supply problem that is exposed as RasPi does more work and draws more current through your Micro USB cable and F3, both of which have current-dependent voltage drops. My own Pi works fine with TP1-TP2 down to 4.65V, but I think I'm just "lucky". I use an external powered hub for USB peripherals, which takes some load off the Micro USB cable and F3.

I recommend the RasPi Hardware wiki, section "Power Supply Problems": http://elinux.org/Rpi_Hardware#Power_Supply_Problems

Steep

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:11 pm

A usb cable from your pc is never going to work, not nearly enough power there. As Nr90 says, check the amperage of your power supply also if you can, check the actual voltage it's putting out as the Pi works it's way into X.

jakeblues

Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:38 am

my power supply delivers 1A@5V, should be ok.

Voltage is constant @4,95-4,97V during boot and also during startx.

Is there a way to startx without switching to X, so that I can see if there are error messages (as I cannot switch back to text console as soon as X is started)?

Marc

jakeblues

Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:58 am

addition:
I also used an active hub to connect mouse and keyboard. No difference.

Just now, the screensaver went on. So the RPi works, it just somehow disconnected either USB or keyboard&mouse...

I will try wheezy.

Marc

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:34 am

Keyboard/mouse not working in X is usually a symptom of updating kernel without updating /lib/modules.
Running rpi-update is the solution, but I'd strongly recommend Wheezy.

keithsuddick

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:23 am

@jakeblues - you're not alone in having this problem, there was an issue raised on github about a month ago - see https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/29 - it's been reported by numerous people now but it doesn't seem like anything is being done about it.

I've tried both Squeeze and Wheezy - they both behave the same, fine until LXDE is started then I lose my network connection and the mouse and keyboard work only sporadically if at all.

The last apt-get upgrade and rpi-update I did has made things worse - previously I could sometimes get out of LXDE and check log files as the keyboard would start working again, but now I just get a black screen on logging out of LXDE and I have to power off the RPi to reboot.

To look for error messages after startx, if you have a network connection to your RPi you may be able to login from another machine using ssh - which I believe is enabled by default in Wheezy but can be enabled in Squeeze too. You'll probably see constant errors in dmesg from the moment X starts.

Regards,

Suds

jakeblues

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:29 am

wheezy does it.

What do you mean by rpi-update? There is no such comand in wheezy?

jake

keithsuddick

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:37 am

rpi-update is a utility developed by Hexxeh to simplify updating the RPi's firmware. See https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update

Did you mean that Wheezy fixes your problem?

Suds

jakeblues

Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:41 am

keithsuddick wrote:...
Did you mean that Wheezy fixes your problem?
Suds
Yes, so no hardware issue. Using Wheezy I can startx and everything works just as expected...

jake

Return to “Troubleshooting”