rbn

connecting RPi to iPhone 6 IOS 8.1.3 hotspot by WiFi

Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:32 pm

I've seen discussion on tethering an earlier iPhone to RPi via usb, but has anyone managed to connect to an iPhone 6 IOS 8.1.3 hotspot via WiFi? IT shows up OK in the gui WiFi configuration program, but won't connect. RPi connects without problem via wifi to my router. and my iPad connects OK to the iPhone6 hotspot. The Pi2 is running latest Raspbian.
Apple insist on naming the hotspot Like "Joe Blogg's Hotspot" The ' is found as __ in the ssid field when you scan on the RPI. Is this a problem? I've tried retyping it with a ' there, but no difference.

gcorwin

Re: connecting RPi to iPhone 6 IOS 8.1.3 hotspot by WiFi

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:26 pm

I am trying to do the same thing with my 5s, I getting "WPS-AP AVAILABLE" under Last message. WPS stands for Web Protected Setup It has to be related, but I am not sure how to enable or do it.

I found this explanation but haven't tried it yet. http://askubuntu.com/questions/120367/h ... hrough-wps

rbn

Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:26 am

Thanks for your response. As it happens I got it working last night. It appears that the iPhone doesn't like all the stuff that the PI WiFi Configuration utility puts into the wpa_supplication.conf file

I stripped it down to the following

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={ssid="rbnphone"
psk="mypassword"
key_mgmt=WPA_PSK
}

# I removed the other lines generated inside the { } by the network utility

I also renamed the SSID for my iPhone. This is tied by Apple to the name of your phone. If you connect it to iTunes, you can select the device tab for your phone and rename it there. The default name Apple used (like John Smith's iPhone) included an apostrophe which the Pi network utility didn't display correctly but put in as __
NB I think this may invalidate your iphone backup, so you may have to do this again with the new phone name.

Having made these changes it now works perfectly.

gcorwin

Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:12 pm

Thanks for the update. I have been banging on this without success, but will give this a try. It'll suck having to reconfig the backups, but in the end it will be worth it.

so much for "it just works" lol

rbn

Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:18 pm

Try just the reduced wpa file first. That may be enough. I did the other because I didn't like the substitution of the __ Also not 100% certain about the backup thing, although mine did take a LONG time when a did a subsequent backup. I just put that in as a warning. I didn't want to change it back again to check out whether the comma works.

keatsish

Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:55 am

i know this is years later but i just had the same problem, so thought i'd post in case it helps someone else. i have a pi3 and wanted to connect to my iphone's personal hotspot. My iphone se was showing up but wouldn't connect. i changed the name on my iphone to I phone, and then it was recognised straight away! :-)

rbn

Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:28 am

I think you are spot on with this. Once you've changed the name, preferrably without any apostrophes in it, it works fine.

keatsish wrote:i know this is years later but i just had the same problem, so thought i'd post in case it helps someone else. i have a pi3 and wanted to connect to my iphone's personal hotspot. My iphone se was showing up but wouldn't connect. i changed the name on my iphone to I phone, and then it was recognised straight away! :-)

Silentslinger

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:20 pm

Worked perfectly. Just change the name without apostrophes. :) Thanks for the post.
rbn wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:28 am
I think you are spot on with this. Once you've changed the name, preferrably without any apostrophes in it, it works fine.

keatsish wrote:i know this is years later but i just had the same problem, so thought i'd post in case it helps someone else. i have a pi3 and wanted to connect to my iphone's personal hotspot. My iphone se was showing up but wouldn't connect. i changed the name on my iphone to I phone, and then it was recognised straight away! :-)

Return to “Troubleshooting”