Techaide

Code Club Book

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:01 pm

The new Code Club book looks fantastic! We will be starting the code club for our school in January, 2019. I would love to order some of these books, but I'm afraid they will confuse my students since they will be using Scratch 3.0 with their chromebooks. Should I wait with ordering until there is a version for Scratch 3.0?

Andyroo

Re: Code Club Book

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:13 pm

Have you seen the differences between the two?

It seems from https://scratch.mit.edu/3faq that all the old blocks will be continuing just some have shuffled about their location.

I do not think it’s policy for timelines to be announced here by the foundation or sales side :lol:

Personally I would question why use 3 to start with as it’s comming out of beta but then again I’m risk adverse at the mo :D
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

Techaide

Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:54 pm

I thought I read that the online version would change to 3.0 in January. If we're using the program online, I didn't think we would have a choice to stay with the previous version? Maybe I misunderstood?

Andyroo

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:43 pm

It looks like it will be awhile before a stand alone version will be removed - could you use that?

It will be awhile before a new stand alone for you:
Will Scratch 3.0 work on Chromebooks?
Yes. In the second half of 2019 we’ll also release an offline version of Scratch for Chromebooks.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

katharine_childs
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:22 pm

Thanks for the lovely feedback about the Code Club book!

The projects contained in the book are almost the same as the ones in Scratch module 1 which is available online here: https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/cod ... h-module-1

This module is currently being updated by our fabulous content team, who will be adding new versions of the projects to the site once Scratch 3.0 goes live at the start of January. So you'll be able to following instructions written for Scratch 3.0, and although there won't be the stickers and 3D glasses that you'd get in the books, it will still be a great way to code with your club.

Return to “Code Club”