jvvw

Saving microbit projects

Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:48 pm

Question for anybody else doing microbit projects - how do you get the kids to save their work for future sessions? Saving files doesn't really work because our machines are set up with a guest logins that wipe all the files between use, and I imagine in a lot of Code Clubs the children don't use the same computers each week. I can't see a way to save them online like with Scratch, trinket etc. You can share projects but not sure how to save the URL generated in a sensible way. Any suggestions or advice?

mattmiller

Re: Saving microbit projects

Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Try asking the Network Manager to create long-lasting codeclub1, codeclub2 etc users

bensimmo

Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:21 pm

MakeCode ?

I'm surprise Microsoft doesn't have a OneDrive link by now.

Anyway, I haven't played with it much recently, but you publish and share and you would need somewhere to store the link for use.
OR you could create a GitHub to put them on. (let me check that, I cannot publish at this school I think it's blocked, but you can import from github, never tried it.)
or copy and paste the javascript to online storage, text files.

You could use Scratch to program them too, or Kodu, or Python, Mu, ...
https://microbit.org/code-alternative-editors/ loads of tehm coming along.

It might be best to have a look at and the email link for advice, see if anything is coming up https://microbit.org/teach/ (I am assume you are using makecode)

rpdom

Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:33 pm

One option is to have a club USB memory stick (or two), or advise the parents to buy a cheap stick for their child to store their projects on.
mattmiller wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:43 pm
Try asking the Network Manager to create long-lasting codeclub1, codeclub2 etc users
This wouldn't work in the club I'm in as we use library computers and no data is preserved between login sessions.

gkaiseril

Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:44 pm

Ask the network manager for suggestions. He/she may have some other suggestions like a seperate network that the code club leader manages or something else
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

bensimmo

Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:46 pm

I'd be surprised is USB sticks worked, they are completely restricted on our network (school) nobody can use USB pen drive, and the whole (large group of schools) should be similar.
Biggest problem for data breaches and dodgy stuff, after emails.

The unfortunate side effect is the current software isn't very flexible, so even the Microbits have to be authorised individually, only the once though.

Though USB is only fine if not using MakeCode, that only saves in hex or is published and shared online
It's copy and paste code time?

rpdom

Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:16 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:46 pm
I'd be surprised is USB sticks worked, they are completely restricted on our network (school) nobody can use USB pen drive, and the whole (large group of schools) should be similar.
Biggest problem for data breaches and dodgy stuff, after emails.
The thing about the library computers is that they are pretty locked down as to what can run on them. USB sticks can be used for storage, but not for software. The PCs are fully reset when you log out. Nothing is retained.

bensimmo

Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:44 pm

That was more at the OP or in general for Code Clubs. I wouldn't rely on it as a method. Then again, in our school(s) OneDrive is usable, GoogleDrive isn't so neither can that.

It's a chat with makecode and a chat with the organisation with the computers that's needed. That's IT for you, never the same anywhere ;-)

--
Save the URL in spreadsheet/document keep their name abbreviated so you don't have to worry so much about GDPR ;-)

jvvw

Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:31 am

Thanks everybody! It sounds like I need to have a chat to whoever runs the network, computers etc the library (not sure who that is but that's obviously my problem to find out!) and sounds like it's worth a quick check whether memory sticks work on them - they're Chromebooks which I think only the Code Club uses rather than the computers normal library users use so there is a small chance that they may not be completely locked down. Mostly wanted to check whether there was an easy solution that I'd overlooked! I haven't looked into programming them with Scratch either - I must investigate that, especially as the kids have been complaining that the interface with the Javascript blocks isn't as nice as the Scratch interface!

bensimmo

Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:03 pm

Scratch- microbit - chrome book, maybe a problem (saying that i've not had it successfully work on a Win10 computer yet)

https://scratch.mit.edu/microbit

katharine_childs
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:28 pm

There's some really great discussion here, and it's awesome to see the community suggestions.

We have some Code Club guidance on using the micro:bits here: https://codeclubprojects.org/en-GB/reso ... it-editor/ However, I don't think this really addresses the question of what to do when the hex files are wiped on log off that you asked.

As well as the great ideas here, you could also consider using the 'Share' option to generate a URL for each project. One way of effectively storing these would be to use an online bulletin board such as Padlet or Symbaloo. If you do this, we advise saving the files with the children's initials rather than their names to keep within GPDR and safeguarding requirements.

Please come back and post what you think is working well at your club once you've given the ideas a try!

Return to “Code Club”