banburybill

micro:bit, NeoPixel, Blocks/Javascript and rainbox

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:16 am

Anyone out there doing stuff with Micro:Bit and Neopixels?

I'm finding that if I try and use the 'show rainbow' block, everything works as expected in the emulator, but when I try it with the hardware everything seems to stop at that point. Anyone out there see the same (or different)?

codeclubdave
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: micro:bit, NeoPixel, Blocks/Javascript and rainbox

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:52 am

I don't have any direct experience with the Neopixel and micro:bits, but the following may help:

Neopixel docs: https://microbit-micropython.readthedoc ... pixel.html
A similar project using the micro:bit and Neopixel: https://lorrainbow.wordpress.com/2018/0 ... -yourself/

I wonder if it might be a power issue. With the Neopixel connected and your existing code, are you able to light up one LED? Then, if you light up more than one, does it still work?

Also, have you tried testing the connection with the micro:bit using different jumper cables?

Please let me know if any of the above helps. I'm happy to pass on any questions or further troubleshooting to our content team.

Cheers,

Dave
Programme Coordinator
www.codeclub.org
@CodeClub | www.facebook.com/codeclubuk

Forris
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Re: micro:bit, NeoPixel, Blocks/Javascript and rainbox

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:13 pm

What 'neopixels' are you using, banburybill ?

To echo what Dave said; how are you powering them ?

You can run about 8 pixels straight from the Microbit, but any more than that will need an external power supply. If you're already using extra power, have you connected all three grounds (Microbit, power, neopixels) together ?

A useful tell-tale sign of inadequate power, is if only certain colours work. Blue is usually the first to go, with red being the last.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Code Club”