FJLA

Choosing a case with correct screen orientation

Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:53 pm

Hi,

I have just set up my first official display and am using the case from PiHut https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry ... creen-case. I have now noticed that the screen is upside down and have read up on the reasons behind this.

My question is, can anyone recommend a good case that offers options for wall mounting and desktop standing which mount the screen in the new correct orientation to allow me the best viewing angle options?

Many thanks,
Fred.

W. H. Heydt

Re: Choosing a case with correct screen orientation

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:15 am

FJLA wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:53 pm
Hi,

I have just set up my first official display and am using the case from PiHut https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry ... creen-case. I have now noticed that the screen is upside down and have read up on the reasons behind this.

My question is, can anyone recommend a good case that offers options for wall mounting and desktop standing which mount the screen in the new correct orientation to allow me the best viewing angle options?

Many thanks,
Fred.
Remount your screen the other way up.

I.e. How do you define "upside down"?

FJLA

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:27 am

Although I haven't tried mounting the screen upside down, I don't believe that it would fit in the case.

The case above is ideal for wall mounting but doesn't give the right viewing angle for desktop use.

I'll check out the Smart Case.

Thanks

alphanumeric

Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:36 pm

I define right way up as not having to edit the config.txt file to flip whats displayed. ;)

https://smarticase.com/products/smartipi-touch-2

gkaiseril

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:03 pm

Edit the config.txt file to rotate the LCD screen 180 degrees.

Documentation - Configuration - Config.txt - Video

Scroll down to the section "LCD display/touchscreen options" for the lcd-rotate for values to rotate the image 0, 90, 180, or 270 degrees. Note this setting does not affect the HDMI or composite video outputs. Also only one video output can work at any time.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

alphanumeric

Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:06 pm

gkaiseril wrote:

Scroll down to the section "LCD display/touchscreen options" for the lcd-rotate for values to rotate the image 0, 90, 180, or 270 degrees. Note this setting does not affect the HDMI or composite video outputs. Also only one video output can work at any time.
If you do that, flipping the display 180 degrees, you compromise / effect the viewing angle of the display. Thats doable but not all that desirable for some setups. As far as I know the viewing angle is optimised for the display being right side up.
Why some stands flip it is so the Pi's Power jack is pointing up and not pointing down, to make it easier to plug in your power supply.

BlankMan

Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:16 am

alphanumeric wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:06 pm
gkaiseril wrote:

If you do that, flipping the display 180 degrees, you compromise / effect the viewing angle of the display. Thats doable but not all that desirable for some setups. As far as I know the viewing angle is optimised for the display being right side up.
Why some stands flip it is so the Pi's Power jack is pointing up and not pointing down, to make it easier to plug in your power supply.
alphanumeric Everything I've read agrees with what you said. So which way is up? Does this drawing show the correct orientation? https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... 092015.pdf where it says "VIEWING ORIENTATION" with the arrow pointing up thus the flex ribbon cable comes off in a downward direction?

I designed a custom case for the display for a project relying on that drawing and now I'm I'm seeing cases designed with the ribbon cable coming off the top indicating the display is rotated 180 degrees. And if I can believe the documentation that then makes the optimal viewing angle from below and not above.

I've also seen reports that "lcd_rotate=2" does not work, granted the posts were old, but that then would be a problem if the drawing's documented "VIEWING ORIENTATION" for optimal viewing angle being from above did make the display upside down.

I've also seen old posts where a firmware change made the default orientation flip 180 degrees and some cited that was done because manufacturers made the cases wrong.

Hard to know what to believe.

So which way is "UP" for optimal viewing angle being from above, ribbon cable going down like the drawing shows? Or ribbon cable going up?

alphanumeric

Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:51 pm

My current setup has the display ribbon cable at the bottom. Also the Micro USB power jack on the display board and Raspberry Pi are pointing down. I don't have to rotate the display on a stock Raspbian install. There was a time early on where the display would start out one way and then flip after you did an update upgarde to Raspbian. Around when the screen was first released.

BlankMan

Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:33 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:51 pm
My current setup has the display ribbon cable at the bottom. Also the Micro USB power jack on the display board and Raspberry Pi are pointing down. I don't have to rotate the display on a stock Raspbian install. There was a time early on where the display would start out one way and then flip after you did an update upgarde to Raspbian. Around when the screen was first released.
Thanks.

BlankMan

Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:42 pm

I wrote the Raspberry Pi Organization at the same time I posted my question here asking which way is up for the display in order to keep the optimum viewing angle from above and just received an answer from them.

As their mechanical drawing for the display shows, "Up" is and I quote, "with the LCD flex coming out the bottom of the screen". So I designed my display housing correctly.

alphanumeric

Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:34 pm

I just setup a new Pi 4B with the official 7 inch touch screen in the new SmartiPi V2 case. Display ribbon cable is on the bottom. Just a FYI post. It's a nice quality case, the assembly instructions leave something to be desired though.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”