darghon

Connecting speaker-phat and official 7" display on Raspberry pi 3 model B

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:58 am

Hi all

I'm fairly new to tinkering with electronics (way more experience on the software end) but I'm looking for a way to connect both a speaker-phat and the official 7" touch screen to the board.

Now there are overlapping gpio pins, but I'm hoping that there's a way to fix this issue. Or maybe even use a different sound module?
I have no technical insight in this matter, so any help/guidance would be very much appreciated.

What I want to create is a OpenHAB room control, on which the doorbell also connects. (For that ringing sound ^_^)
And have it give out sounds for notifications and reminders and all sorts of fun stuff.

Thanks in advance

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: Connecting speaker-phat and official 7" display on Raspberry pi 3 model B

Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:52 am

As you have a RPi 3B you only need to connect the DSI ribbon cable to your official 7in screen. Don't use the jumper wires!
Power it via USB (make sure you have a decent power supply) and your screen should be detected when booting.

adding speaker phat is now a piece of cake. Again: keep in mind your speakers are drawing power from 5V line --> make sure your power supply is sufficient

darghon

Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:09 am

Ok

So does this mean that the screen/rasp share power through the DSI ribbon? or do I need to hook both usb ports up to power?
As you can gather from the question, very new at this >_<

aBUGSworstnightmare

Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:18 am

darghon wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:09 am
Ok

So does this mean that the screen/rasp share power through the DSI ribbon? or do I need to hook both usb ports up to power?
As you can gather from the question, very new at this >_<
Both need to be powered by USB (both of the have microUSB power input). There is no 5V supply on the ribbon cable.
Do you know this? https://www.raspberrypi.org/learning/ad ... e/display/

As said already: 5V supply via jumper wires is no option for you as this will block you from adding speaker phat

darghon

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:50 pm

The one I bought had a different "installation guide". And it contained 4 wires to connect to gpio pins, but as suggested, it works fine without it.
Now, onto the next issue.

Not really an issue, more of a question.
I have an open case for the rasp with the touch screen, and I want to embed it into the wall.
I have a 230V 3g1.5 cable ready for use where I want to embed it, and I'm now looking for ways to connect it to power.
The cable is connected to my main board and runs on a battery supported line. (So should be powered at all times)

The raspberry need 5V so I've been looking for ways to solve this, but, as it now appears, I need to connect 2 things of 5V each ^_^

I've been looking for 220v to 5v transformers, and so far I've found the one in the link below, but perhaps there are better ways of handeling this.
https://www.banggood.com/AC-DC-10W-Isol ... 94953.html

Whatever the solution, it will be completely hidden inside a wall, so it doesn't need to be a very fancy and polished solution, it just needs to work.

Thanks for any advice.

darghon

Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:20 am

Well, the essential question of this topic was solved, so I'll ask the other one in a new, more relevant topic

Thanks all

Return to “Official Foundation Display”