boing

Controller Board v1.2

Sat May 13, 2017 10:50 am

Hi,

I am one of these guys who bought an Official Raspberry Pi Display right after it appeared on the market. The controller shipped with these early displays was version 1.0 of the board. As I would love to have the ability to adjust the backlight of the display I am desperately looking for a newer controller board (version 1.2) on which these features are enabled / possible.

Are there any plans to sell the controller board separat of the full display kit? My panel is working fine and I think it's a pity that you can't update the controller board without buying a whole new Official Raspberry Pi Display.

Thank you!

DougieLawson

Re: Controller Board v1.2

Sat May 13, 2017 4:07 pm

Won't happen. The controller has one specific function.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Burngate

Sat May 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Where in the world are you?
There may be someone close by who wants a display, but doesn't care about the brightness, and who would be willing to buy your old one. Me, perhaps.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:57 pm

After the upgraded controller came out there was someone from a vendor that was going to look into the possibility of being able to obtain new controller boards for sale. I've never seen any follow-up on that, but I, too, wish it would happen as my original 7" display is really, really original (ordered on launch day). For what I use it for, controlling the backlight isn't required, but it would be a "nice to have".

stefanv

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Note that the 1.1 board also supports dimming the backlight.
Stefan Vorkoetter: Programmer, hobbyist, amateur watchmaker, pilot, and collector of fountain pens, slide rules, calculators, and watches.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:58 pm

stefanv wrote:Note that the 1.1 board also supports dimming the backlight.
But the 1.0 does not. There are a fair number of RPF displays out there that have the v1.0 controller as it was some months from launch until the v1.1 was used. The ability to buy just a v1.1 or v1.2 controller would be welcome. It's one of the very few things in a Pi peripheral that is a reasonable field upgrade. After all, with the first wave of displays, the user had to connect the controller to the display, so changing it out for a newer controller shouldn't present any serious challenges.

DougieLawson

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:37 pm

I assume you've not seen the hardware hack thread for the V1.0 controller boards.

viewtopic.php?t=155406
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:46 pm

DougieLawson wrote:I assume you've not seen the hardware hack thread for the V1.0 controller boards.

viewtopic.php?t=155406
I don't see that as a personally viable solution. I'd far rather be able to buy a replacement controller board.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”