paulyates

Exit feh Slideshow

Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi Guys,

Firstly let me say I am pretty much a novice on the Pi and with script, all the projects I have done so far have been by following a guide so go easy on me

I am just finishing a little project with the display, I have the Pi to start up in kiosk mode with a webpage that allows me to control the heating in my home, after a min of inactivity a slideshow starts (using feh), I can exit the slideshow very easily by pressing the esc key on the keyboard but I do not want a keyboard attached to the finished setup. When I ordered the display I assumed I would be able to tap the screen to exit the slideshow, is there any way of making this work with a tap or a double tap or something along them lines?

The guide I followed used a none touch display and a PIR to exit from the slideshow, basically you walked up to it and it turned off

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Exit feh Slideshow

Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:29 pm

the manual https://man.finalrewind.org/1/feh/ should tell you which commands you can use, it assumes it is controlled with a keyboard though. What you are looking for is a touch screen utility that inserts the right key control into the keyboard buffer when to tap the screen.

or you could add a physical button connected to a GPIO, and use the program that adafruit developed to add virtual keypresses for adding a joypad to a PI for retropie.

paulyates

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:18 am

adding a button to the back of the case would be pretty straight forward, I'll have a look

even if I managed to set up a screen tap to be the equivalent of pressing esc it may cause other issues when using the touch screen to control the heating

Thanks

powderburned

Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:23 am

I'm sure you probably no longer need a solution to this but to get feh to quit when you touch the touchscreen, you need to change the behavior of the mouse button 1 or left mouse button. By default the left mouse button sets that button as the "Pan" action. In the FEH man page it talks about changing the actions of the buttons by creating and naming the actions associated keys and buttons.

https://man.finalrewind.org/1/feh/#x4b455953

So, what I did was to create .config/feh/keys with the following:

Code: Select all

# First clear the keys associated with the actions
quit
pan
# Next, associate the quit action with the escape key and button 1 of the mouse
quit Escape 1
Next, I also created a .config/feh/buttons file with the following:

Code: Select all

# First clear the keys associated with the actions
quit
pan
# Next, associate the quit action with the button 1 of the mouse
quit 1
This isn't perfect as you will need to double tap the touch screen to get out of the slideshow. However, no keyboard required and it works much more like you'd expect a touch screen to behave.

Hope this is helpful.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”