SilverLinings

OpenGL on the official Display

Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:42 pm

I have had this problem for a while. I have a usecase where I require the touch-functionality and the OpenGL-support. I tried with the inofficial version of Anholds driver and it didnt work and now, that the official version was released i tried again. When I enable OpenGL support in rapi-config I can only use HDMI-displays anymore. The DSI interface does not seem to work with the dirver. Even if I only connect the official 7'' display - it only boots to the driver-splashscreen (the colorfull loading screen). If I connect a monitor via HDMI it uses this one instead and the 7'' display is only powered on (backlight is active - screen is black)

Do you have any suggestions what I am doing wrong?

GordonTGopher

Re: OpenGL on the official Display

Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:23 pm

Might be worth looking at theOpen GL bug thread viewtopic.php?f=63&t=135790 seems others are having similar problems.

Gordon

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:28 pm

SilverLinings wrote:I have had this problem for a while. I have a usecase where I require the touch-functionality and the OpenGL-support. I tried with the inofficial version of Anholds driver and it didnt work and now, that the official version was released i tried again. When I enable OpenGL support in rapi-config I can only use HDMI-displays anymore. The DSI interface does not seem to work with the dirver. Even if I only connect the official 7'' display - it only boots to the driver-splashscreen (the colorfull loading screen). If I connect a monitor via HDMI it uses this one instead and the 7'' display is only powered on (backlight is active - screen is black)

Do you have any suggestions what I am doing wrong?
Given the others seeing similar, it' probably just because the driver is still in alpha/beta status - whilst official, it's by no means production ready. I'm not sure how long it will take before its ready for the mainstream.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

6by9

Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:52 pm

The new OpenGL driver takes over control of the HVS and all composition, so it needs to be set up appropriately to drive DSI instead of HDMI. I suspect that hasn't been done yet, so you'll get nothing on the official screen via DSI, nor DPI, nor composite video.

I could suggest that you could look at the kernel drivers and amend those as required, they are all open source after all.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

davidscully

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:55 pm

I don't suppose you can point me in the general direction (in terms of around about directory(s)) in the kernel source where this control happens?

I would have assumed around /linux/drivers/video but from the git repo I can't see any large file changes recently; recently meaning around the time of the latest release when enabling OpenGL is an option.

No worries if this is asking too much :D

6by9

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:48 am

The driver has been upstream so comes in one of the major version bumps. https://github.com/anholt/linux/commits/rpi-4.2.y is the repo that most of the work has been done on, and is where issues are being tracked.
There are open issues for supporting TV out, dpi and spi displays, but I didn't notice one for supporting the DSI display. That may need some input from Pi Towers as there are a couple of other bits involved.

Looks like drivers/Gpu/drm/vc4 is the right directory for the kernel side. There is a second tree for the rendering side.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”