FinalSmash

Can I use the Pi Touchscreen with a different Computer?

Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:07 am

Hi,

I'm interested in the Pi and its peripherals. I was wondering if it would be possible to connect the touchscreen, possibly using an adapter, as a secondary monitor on a PC. Or is the touchscreen compatible exclusively with the Pi? Any replies will be appreciated.

Thanks
Sam

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Can I use the Pi Touchscreen with a different Computer?

Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:20 am

FinalSmash wrote:I'm interested in the Pi and its peripherals. I was wondering if it would be possible to connect the touchscreen, possibly using an adapter, as a secondary monitor on a PC. Or is the touchscreen compatible exclusively with the Pi? Any replies will be appreciated.
Almost zero chance on a PC.
The Pi touchscreen uses DSI and I2C as the interfaces, neither of which are generally available on a PC.
You might be able to hook it up to a Beagleboard or Freescale board, but don't expect any support in trying to do so.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

FinalSmash

Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:06 pm

That answers my question. Thanks.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:37 pm

It would almost certainly be possible to design a replacement control board that would adapt the screen the screen to DVI and USB. However it would not be a trivial task.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”