blaablaaguy

Is this thing worth it?

Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:09 pm

Ive seen some stuff about the screen being upside down and sliding around in the casing. Also I heard that not all OS's support it. Is it worth getting or is it rubbish and bad quality????
This signature intentionally left blank.

kusti8

Re: Is this thing worth it?

Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:13 pm

If you need it, then yes. The upside down issue, is that when it was first made, the software accidentally put it upside down. Now it's right side up, but you can always change that easily.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

blaablaaguy

Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:12 pm

Yeah I do need it but it doesnt realy seem worth the price. 50pound for a touch screen that has problems with touching, slides about in its casing and doesnt support many operating systems. To me it seems like a bad quality piece of trash.

PeterO

Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:40 pm

Clearly you've made up your mind already so it's not clear why you are posting here ?
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

stderr

Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:21 pm

blaablaaguy wrote:50pound for a touch screen that has problems with touching, slides about in its casing and doesnt support many operating systems. To me it seems like a bad quality piece of trash.
If you got pounded fifty times, you'd slide around in your case too. You didn't say why you needed the device. There are certainly entire Android tablets that can be had for less than that. Their makers are probably losing money, so that sort of thing wouldn't work for someone who was trying to be a sustaining business. There are also dirt cheap mobile phones that run Android that can often display whatever it is you wanted to display, control whatever it is you wanted to control. Black Friday is coming up, I'm sure there's something out there. A lot of people seem to think that the only way to do this is to integrate the display and the control surface with the system that is doing the actual work, apparently the RPi in this case. I believe that often those people are wrong and a very workable, I dare claim better, system can be built separating them.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:18 am

blaablaaguy wrote:Yeah I do need it but it doesnt realy seem worth the price. 50pound for a touch screen that has problems with touching, slides about in its casing and doesn't support many operating systems. To me it seems like a bad quality piece of trash.
You are using anecdotal evidence from a couple of posts and you have no idea of the number sold as a control. And you have no first hand evidence. So I'd suggest not bad mouthing a product without first, you know, actually using it. Or get something else. It's your money.

Oh, and it's the OS that needs to support the screen, not the other way round. Raspbian, the Foundation supported OS, works fine. It may take a while for other OS's to catch up, you need to talk to the suppliers of those for details.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

BMS Doug

Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:41 pm

When I saw that the Pi Screen was finally out My first thought was, "At Last!".

Then I realised that I don't need one right now, I just don't have a project in mind that needs a 7" screen so I decided I would wait a few months and buy one when I need one and let the early adopters find the Bugs and get the system working properly. Upside down, bad glue, these are the price paid for being a cutting edge early adopter.

The longer you wait, the more OS's will support the screen.

Is it worth it?
If you need a good quality 7" touchscreen then Yes, otherwise No.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

gadgetoid

Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:03 pm

Speaking from the perspective of someone who's seen a good slice of how many units have sold, versus how many have been returned or fallen apart, with the additional bonus of being personally ( and professionally I suppose ) interested in working with the multi-touch aspect of the display:
  1. Yes there is a problem with LCDs coming unstuck, but it's not widespread- you only ever hear from people with problems and defective screens are being replaced/examined to make sure it doesn't happen again.
  2. An overwhelming majority of returned LCDs are still functional. They're kinda hard to get working, and I'm doing everything I can to ease the difficulty and document the pitfalls ( mostly with the flat flex )
  3. Multi-touch works beautifully and responsively with all 10 points, I've put together demos of this in PyGame including a multi-touch piano, a GUI toolkit and 2 player PONG: https://github.com/pimoroni/python-multitouch
  4. Despite sounding small, 800*480 is pretty roomy and I use at least one of these screens on a daily basis- replacing my HDMIPi
In conclusion- yes, it's worth it. But I'm not going to claim it's had a perfectly smooth launch. It's been rocky, but the screen is great and the stuff people will do when they start playing more with multi-touch will be cool.

blaablaaguy

Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:38 pm

Forget it, I got a HDMIPi off ebay for a few pennies anyway.

jdb

Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:53 pm

blaablaaguy wrote:Forget it, I got a HDMIPi off ebay for a few pennies anyway.
How wonderful for you.

Thread locked.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

Return to “Official Foundation Display”