songsmyth

Can't get new Element14, 7 inch display, working in ...

Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:59 am

Hello All,
I have one of the new Raspberry Pi 7 inch monitors,purchased through Element 14 for a Model 2 B which was recommended for best results. Everything looks great on the display, it's cute, the touch screen works great (with small fingers!) However, my primary goal was to use the display in portrait mode. This is where hair pulling started...

Yes, I'm a Noob to some parts of the pi world while fairly competent in other areas. BUT this is the single most FRUSTRATING thing I've come up against ("What is all the fuzzy stuff in your office?", asked my wife!)

I have followed thread after thread, I've edited config.txt (hair pulling has increased) I've even reinstalled Wheezy, the latest and greatest 3 times. I've done things to my local rc config files that would make a "free market" sailor blush... All to no avail! I've done the simple "rotate=1,2,3,4, or 5,6,7, and 8 followed by mem=256.i various config.txt files... ALL TO NO AVAIL

I would be eternally grateful to the person or persons who could help me get this snide little, evil, innocent looking monister... I mean monitor ... functioning in the manner I've dreamed of for weeks now.
Most sincerely,
songsmyth

DougieLawson

Re: Can't get new Element14, 7 inch display, working in ...

Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:37 am

Since

Code: Select all

lcd_rotate=2
turns the display upside down, try using

lcd_rotate=1
or

lcd_rotate=3
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:17 pm

Or use my method... grasp the LCD by the top and bottom edges. Rotate your wrist 180 degrees. Set the LCD down again.

songsmyth

Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:08 am

OK, all joking aside, would someone please help me get this monitor functioning in portrait mode? Dougie, I've tried your suggestions via previous posts with - no results. If I've missed something please leave me a pointer,

Unfortunately H.W., as an incomplete quadriplegic, those hand gestures may be overwhelming! :)

But seriously, from researching other posts it just doesn't seem this should be that difficult! What am I to expect when I have to adjust the x/y touch calibrations?
Again, I would greatly appreciate all help!
songsmyth

DougieLawson

Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:07 pm

Are you sure you're updating the right config.txt? Try setting lcd_rotate=2 (turn it upside down) as a test.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

songsmyth

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I really appreciate your time and efforts! All the references have been to :
"sudo nano /boot/config.txt" So that's what I have been editing. After no change I changed to the boot directory, verified that's where I was with "pwd" and redid the process. My changes where there. Where else might I find the "/boot/config.txt" dir/file? Also, I've used,on various threads "display_rotate" and "lcd_rotate". I'm certain this would make a huge difference as would the case! Would you please clarify these two items for me? Again, I know how much time and energy goes into helping others so I sincerely am appreciative of your help!
songsmyth

DougieLawson

Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:44 pm

Hold [SHIFT] during boot to get the NOOBS recovery system running. Use the config editor in that system to edit your config.txt.

songsmyth

Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:31 am

hi, sorry to be so late in getting back to you. Unlike all my other pi's, I don't get the "Hold Shift" message so when I start just holding the shift key I don't get a boot at all, or not one that's visible on the 7 inch screen.

As I said in an earlier post I have a spinal cord injury, so I got a call into The Fingers. Not that I can't use my hands at all - just not for the ribbon work required to swap out pi's with a verified good one on this job!

I do appreciate all of your help and will follow up as soon as I get a swap done (which will probably be tomorrow. and solve the case).

Again Thanks!
songsmyth a t like my u $ er name (+ a period) then the end bit of communication.

gadgetoid

Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:00 am

Are you certain that there's no additional line reading:

lcd_rotate=
further down in the config file that may be overriding the change you're making?

For quick config.txt changes, it always helps to make the change at the very bottom of the file, to ensure nothing later interferes.

RaTTuS

Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:16 am

what is the output from
sudo fdisk -l
have you done a rpi-update [I'm not saying you need to just asking]
is the system uptodate i.e.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

songsmyth

Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:34 am

Hi Everyone,
I'm sorry it's taken this long to get back to you. I've been waiting for my fingers person who has been busy. I'l run fdisck this morning and report back. Additionally I need to look for some of the internet threads I had been following as I'm certain one of them had me do something to a file other than config.txt.

I appreciate the help greatly,
David

gadgetoid

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:31 am

Ahoy!

I've run some tests today after 3 separate users all with problems using

lcd_rotate=2
, as near as I could tell before I horribly broke everything trying to patch the problem this command is not currently supported in NOOBS.

Updating the Pi using `

apt-get upgrade
` appears to update the kernel as you might expect, but not whatever aspect of NOOBS is intercepting the /boot/config.txt commands.

procount

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:53 am

NOOBS (1.4.x) uses an old kernel and old boot files that do not yet support the 7" touchscreen display.
However, if you copy the bootfiles from Raspbian Jessie onto the Recovery partition, the NOOBS recovery program can be displayed on the touchscreen.
The touch interface still won't work as it needs the ft5406 driver to be installed in the kernel
I'm trying to get the touchpresses working for myself, but struggling a little at the moment....

On a Raspbian system installed via NOOBS (in a terminal or at the command prompt)
1.mount the recovery partition,

sudo mount /dev/mmcblkl0p1 /mnt
2. Copy the boot files

sudo cp /boot/bootcode.bin /mnt
sudo cp boot/start.elf /mnt/recovery.elf
sync
Create a config.txt file in /mnt if you need to set any LCD options.
Then reboot.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

Return to “Official Foundation Display”