JimmyN

7" Display Sketchup file

Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:43 pm

I didn't know whether to post this in "Cases" or "Display". But since it's specific to the display, I thought this might be the best spot.

I created a Sketchup file of the display and uploaded it to the 3D warehouse. Those of you that use Sketchup can import it and have an accurate component to create a stand/case around it. I have double checked all the dimensions and they seem to be accurate within ~.02mm, if anyone sees something that's off let me know and I'll correct it. If you want to convert it to inches go to the toolbar "Windows>Model Info" and you can change it there. If you import it into a sketch that is already using inches it will convert it automatically.

Since the RPi mounting holes are not centered I have the "Top" labeled (ribbon cable comes out at the bottom when it's right side up), to make sure you have it turned the right way. It's based off the RPF's pdf drawing of the display, 7InchDisplayDrawing-4092015.pdf, plus actual measurements of the display itself.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model. ... 4ee79dd979

The next wood case I make I will probably do it in Sketchup and upload it to the 3D warehouse, so anyone that wants to duplicate it will have all the dimensions.

That's interesting... I only uploaded it 20 minutes ago and already there have been 7 downloads!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: 7" Display Sketchup file

Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:01 pm

I presume you have corrected for the upside down error that plagued early frame makers?

I assume this is for a "plastic extruder robot", do you also plan a design for a laser cutter?

JimmyN

Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:57 am

Yes, the FPC comes out at the bottom of the display, I already got bit on that issue. :mrgreen:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... 092015.pdf.

The Sketchup file was actually created from that pdf drawing. I converted the pdf to a DXF file and imported that into Sketchup. I deleted everything on the drawing except for the outlines and the mounting tabs, and then extruded everything to the correct depth to make it 3D.

I work mainly with wood, but the first case I made for the display I didn't have a display component to build around, so I just winged it as I went along, measuring and fitting. I usually work with Sketchup and build it first, and if I had I'd have noticed that the frame needed to be wider so the sides would come out flush with the USB/ETH ports. By the time I realized it I already had the frame made and the sides glued on. Here's the first one viewtopic.php?f=40&t=121434

Even if you're "building" it out of something it helps to create a 3D model first to see how it all fits together, plus it makes it easier to figure out leg lengths, angles, etc since they are much easier to adjust/test in Sketchup rather than cutting another piece. And since I got my display early on and powered it up to see how it was oriented, I of course had it upside down in the frame when the upgrade came along.

So I'm going to make another case and this time I'll build it first in Sketchup.

TonyD

Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:03 pm

Thanks for sharing !

Could you post the DXF file as well.

Out of interest what did you use to convert the pdf to DXF?
Tony

JimmyN

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:52 pm

I used Inkscape, it's free, and works well for converting pdf's to dxf for Sketchup.

Open the pdf in Inkscape, then just save it choosing "Desktop Cutting Plotter(AutoCAD DXF R14)(.dxf)" as the filetype from the dropdown menu. That's actually the easiest part.

When you import the dxf into Sketchup the scale will be wrong, really wrong, the drawing was about 15000 meters in width. Use the tape measure tool and measure one of the dimensions and then without touching anything else type in the exact length shown on the drawing and press Enter. It will ask if you want to resize the whole model, answer "Yes". The whole drawing will appear to have disappeared, because now it's only about 18" long so zoom in for a while toward the axis point until you get close enough to see it again.

Check it again with the tape measure tool and everything should now correspond to the dimensions printed on the drawing, if your original measurement was accurate, if not then scale it again until it's perfect.

It will need some cleaning up to get rid of the unwanted text, lines, drawing title, etc. And there were a few broken lines that needed to be drawn over to get a "face" that you can extrude (push/pull).

Here is a link to the dxf file in my Dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/s/doh64pot9b1rb ... 5.dxf?dl=0 If you have any problems I can help you out.

TonyD

Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:16 pm

Cool, I didn't know inkscape could do that :-)

Many thanks for the walk through.
Tony

Return to “Official Foundation Display”