RSWicker

Warning: mounting holes have no backstop.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:39 pm

Hello everyone,

I have only started tinkering with the RasPi last week, and I'm having a blast. Building without electronics is nothing new for me though so I went to work on building a case for the 7 " touchscreen. Ran into a bit of a problem in the process, and FUBAR'ed my screen. I feel this was a result of a serious design flaw, but at the same time recognize that I should have not assumed as much as I did. Here is what happened:

In the process of building my case, I purchased 4x screws/bolts for the outer screw sockets on the back of the screen. Well, to my surprise, there is no backstop behind the mounting. Without knowing this tidbit, I pushed the screws too far and separated the mounting plate from the screen. I ALSO have four warp points on the screen when I turn it on and touch the screen, AND, disabled the resistive touch ability of screen.

It's not noticeable if I don't touch the screen, but that in itself defeats the purpose of having bought the screen. There is no doubt that this is my fault for not having better care with my product, but it is also disappointing that there isn't a backstop to the mountings.

Just wanted to share my failings with everyone so that the mistake is not repeated.

Cheers,
Sebastian

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: *Design Flaw* (but no pity for stupidty)

Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:43 pm

I changed the title of your thread to be more relevant to the content.

solar3000

Re: Warning: mounting holes have no backstop.

Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:57 pm

I encountered that too. Luckily I didn't break it. I saw the glass move and so I pulled the screw out.
I just got my panel the same day too.
Antikythera

Return to “Official Foundation Display”