andy33

Display now upside down after rpi-update [SOLVED]

Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:11 pm

I have just done an rpi-update after reading somewhere that I should to it. Now my display is upside down. Does anyone know how to revert this to the correct orientation?

rpdom

Re: Display now upside down after rip-update

Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:13 pm

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=120642#p815820

The screen was the wrong way up originally. It's now the right way round, but you can turn it around.

andy33

Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:15 pm

rpdom wrote:viewtopic.php?f=43&t=120642#p815820

The screen was the wrong way up originally. It's now the right way round, but you can turn it around.
Thank you. It is correct now after adding lcd_rotate=2 to /boot/config.txt, but am I right in thinking that I'm now using the display upside down and I'm not getting the optimal viewing angle? Also if I use use the display with the ribbon cable at the bottom there's really not much room for the usb power cable or the hdmi cable if needed.

Andy

PeterO

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:50 am

andy33 wrote:
rpdom wrote:viewtopic.php?f=43&t=120642#p815820

Thank you. It is correct now after adding lcd_rotate=2 to /boot/config.txt, but am I right in thinking that I'm now using the display upside down and I'm not getting the optimal viewing angle? Also if I use use the display with the ribbon cable at the bottom there's really not much room for the usb power cable or the hdmi cable if needed.

Andy
It depends on your point of view :D and how you expect to use the display. If it is flat on the desk I think the original orientation was better, but if it is near vertical on a stand then the new orientation is better.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

SwitchKat

Re: Display now upside down after rpi-update [SOLVED]

Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:00 pm

I bought the optional stand for my display, and it only connects one way to the display with legs that make it stand up. After updating, the display on mine is upside down too, but I cannot alter the leg configuration on the stand to compensate. I'm wondering if there was a design flaw in the way the stand is put together and how the drivers are working???

PeterO

Re: Display now upside down after rpi-update [SOLVED]

Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:36 am

You can invert the display by adding lcd_rotate=2 to /boot/config.txt The issue is due to the viewing angle not being identical for "above" and "below". It seems this was not initially appreciated and the firmware was developed with the screen actually upside down !
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Return to “Official Foundation Display”