shlomo1

using a tablet as a monitor

Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:26 am

I have an old android tablet (7 inch) and would like to use it as a monitor for my PI 2. I'm NOT referring to using it as a remote terminal, VNC, etc but would like to connect the tablet to one of the outputs (HDMI, RCA, GPIO). Is this do-able? This is an unused tablet so if necessary I don't mind opening the tablet and soldering wires or whatever is needed.

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: using a tablet as a monitor

Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:14 am

No it is not possible
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

Drummel

Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:09 pm

Could you explain why? I´m very interested in this. Could it be possible by adding a driverboard?

klricks

Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:59 pm

Drummel wrote:Could you explain why? I´m very interested in this. Could it be possible by adding a driverboard?
A driver board would be required to convert the screen interface to something the RPi can use such as HDMI or Composite.
There are driver board kits on ebay for LVDS type screens found in old laptops and monitors, but it is very unlikely a driver board exists for any random screen.
Note the driver boards are as big as the RPi and cost about as much. You would be better off getting the new RPF screen.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”