Tuerai

Raspbian Jessie?

Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:13 pm

Does anyone have the official display running on Raspbian Jessie?

I couldn't get my TFT LCD screen from Adafruit that used the GPIO pins to work on Jessie, but I figured this one seems to be a bit easier to setup. I haven't tried yet due to lack of a spare micro SD card.

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspbian Jessie?

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:08 pm

Yeah works fine
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

icebob

Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:34 pm

Yes, I'm using official display on Jessie. This is the tutorial:
https://medium.com/@icebob/jessie-on-ra ... 3b8d80e7e1

paultnl

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:54 pm

I would disagree that it "works fine", it runs the screen upside down. I know the solution is trivial but it should have been included in the default settings as standard not left as another trap to put off NOOBs
I don't like Russian dolls, they are so full of themselves

PeterO

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:01 pm

paultnl wrote:I would disagree that it "works fine", it runs the screen upside down. I know the solution is trivial but it should have been included in the default settings as standard not left as another trap to put off NOOBs
When it comes up that way round for the first time how will it be a trap ? It's only been an issue for the early adopters who got the 1st release of the firmware upgrade AND had also had a stand.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Boomer

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:03 pm

Ugh. I just did the installation on my display. I'm getting a little tired of the bleeding edge. Think I'll wait for a simpler solution before updating.

Jack

Tuerai

Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:17 pm

Boomer wrote:Ugh. I just did the installation on my display. I'm getting a little tired of the bleeding edge. Think I'll wait for a simpler solution before updating.
After someone said it worked, I just changed my sources.list entries to jessie, and did an "apt-get dist-upgrade". I said no to both of the proposed "new versions of existing config files" and then rebooted after it finished, and mine still works. So if you install it under wheezy, and then upgrade to jessie it works.

paultnl

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:06 pm

I was talking about the official release on the download page so it is not just early adopters who are affected by this.

MikeDunn

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:15 pm

Yes, it works on a clean load; agreed it's a pain that we still have to put in the rotate fix, but ...

Mike

PeterO

Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:21 pm

paultnl wrote:I was talking about the official release on the download page so it is not just early adopters who are affected by this.
From now on people who get the latest Jessie and put it on a machine with the 7" display will not have a problem. It will be the "right way up" to start with and they will never know it was originally the other way up.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

paultnl

Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:24 am

PeterO wrote:
paultnl wrote:I was talking about the official release on the download page so it is not just early adopters who are affected by this.
From now on people who get the latest Jessie and put it on a machine with the 7" display will not have a problem. It will be the "right way up" to start with and they will never know it was originally the other way up.
PeterO

Even if they are not using a stand the power connectors would be on the bottom which can be a problem with some cables. Surely it would be easier to fix this than keep making excuses.

Boomer

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:12 pm

Tuerai wrote:
Boomer wrote:Ugh. I just did the installation on my display. I'm getting a little tired of the bleeding edge. Think I'll wait for a simpler solution before updating.
After someone said it worked, I just changed my sources.list entries to jessie, and did an "apt-get dist-upgrade". I said no to both of the proposed "new versions of existing config files" and then rebooted after it finished, and mine still works. So if you install it under wheezy, and then upgrade to jessie it works.
How do you "change" the source.list entries? Not sure what that means....

Jack

Return to “Official Foundation Display”