mhedd
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:37 pm

Official Pi Display - No Touch

Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:39 pm

I received the new official Pi display and the touch aspect is not working. I am using a Pi 2B. I used a stock May 5 version of Raspian, performed the apt-get update procedure and the screen displays fine, but no touch. I've reassembled it a couple times. I've used different power methods: GPIO pins, 2 separate power sources, and no-go. I did not see anything, but are there any entries in the system log that would hint at whether it was even being recognized? Anything else I could try?

Thanks!

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:43 am

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:12 pm

Check that the little ribbon connector is properly connected....

When you apt-get update'd did it throw any warnings or errors?
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

mhedd
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:37 pm

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:46 pm

Gordon,
Thanks for the reply. Apt-get completed successfully several times (on the same microSD card, but before and after I re-flashed the OS). I will try again when I get home from work, but I have re-seated the ribbon several times and it does look like pictures of assembly guides I've viewed to double-check. Are there particular devices that should appear in /dev that I can look for?

mhedd
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:37 pm

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:55 pm

I reassembled it again a couple times, and there is no change in behavior. Again, I tried one power supply to the Pi with GPIO jumpers to the display, the reverse, and two separate power supplies. Any other thoughts?

User avatar
Paul Webster
Posts: 772
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:49 am
Location: London, UK
Contact: Twitter

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:37 am

Did you start up the graphical user interface (startx) and check while in that?

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:43 am

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:28 am

Try apt-get install evtest

then just run it, it should give you a list of events one of which should be rpi-ft5406, choose that one then touch the screen

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

DaHu4wA
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:55 am

Hello! Maybe a "sudo rpi-update" helps? This updates the PIs firmware.

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:30 am

DaHu4wA wrote:Hello! Maybe a "sudo rpi-update" helps? This updates the PIs firmware.
to an unstable daily build, rpi-update should not be recommended as a fix-all solution, it is more likely to break things than fix them.

rpi-update is for people who are aware of the risks of beta testing, not for everyone.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

DaHu4wA
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:04 am

BMS Doug wrote:
to an unstable daily build, rpi-update should not be recommended as a fix-all solution, it is more likely to break things than fix them.

rpi-update is for people who are aware of the risks of beta testing, not for everyone.
You are right, but there were adaptions to the LCD-drivers which are not in the official release yet. So it's worth a try. Maybe just do a backup first.

scotty101
Posts: 3398
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:11 am

My display worked with a release of Raspbian that was a few months old. I only needed the rpi-update to fix the known touchscreen event handling problem.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

User avatar
PeterO
Posts: 4376
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:14 am

BMS Doug wrote:
DaHu4wA wrote:Hello! Maybe a "sudo rpi-update" helps? This updates the PIs firmware.
to an unstable daily build, rpi-update should not be recommended as a fix-all solution, it is more likely to break things than fix them.

rpi-update is for people who are aware of the risks of beta testing, not for everyone.
I can only assume you haven't been following the threads in this forum where Foundation Engineers are recommending a firmware upgrade to to fix a problem in the touch screen driver ?
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=120642#p815808

This is exactly the right time to run rpi-update. On an already up to date system there are no bad side effects. Just don't run it "willy nilly".

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:43 am

PeterO wrote:
BMS Doug wrote:
DaHu4wA wrote:Hello! Maybe a "sudo rpi-update" helps? This updates the PIs firmware.
to an unstable daily build, rpi-update should not be recommended as a fix-all solution, it is more likely to break things than fix them.

rpi-update is for people who are aware of the risks of beta testing, not for everyone.
I can only assume you haven't been following the threads in this forum where Foundation Engineers are recommending a firmware upgrade to to fix a problem in the touch screen driver ?
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=120642#p815808

This is exactly the right time to run rpi-update. On an already up to date system there are no bad side effects. Just don't run it "willy nilly".

PeterO
I had indeed Peter, I should have made it clearer that I was objecting to the "This updates the PIs firmware" line.

My concern was that it be made clear that updating your firmware to rpi-update will not always be the correct solution, when someone is researching a problem in the future (Search terms: Raspberry Pi firmware update) they might find this thread and not realise the implications of rpi-update.

Sorry that I was unclear.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

mhedd
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:37 pm

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:11 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Did you start up the graphical user interface (startx) and check while in that?
Paul,
Yes I did. Frankly, I didn't expect it to would work in the terminal anyway!

mhedd
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:37 pm

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:27 pm

BMS Doug wrote: I had indeed Peter, I should have made it clearer that I was objecting to the "This updates the PIs firmware" line.

My concern was that it be made clear that updating your firmware to rpi-update will not always be the correct solution, when someone is researching a problem in the future (Search terms: Raspberry Pi firmware update) they might find this thread and not realise the implications of rpi-update.

Sorry that I was unclear.
Doug, understanding the risks, to confirm: It simply updates the software on the [micro]SD card, not the hardware on the Pi? So at worst, one would just have to re-flash the card?

BMS Doug
Posts: 3824
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:42 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:34 pm

mhedd wrote:
BMS Doug wrote: I had indeed Peter, I should have made it clearer that I was objecting to the "This updates the PIs firmware" line.

My concern was that it be made clear that updating your firmware to rpi-update will not always be the correct solution, when someone is researching a problem in the future (Search terms: Raspberry Pi firmware update) they might find this thread and not realise the implications of rpi-update.

Sorry that I was unclear.
Doug, understanding the risks, to confirm: It simply updates the software on the [micro]SD card, not the hardware on the Pi? So at worst, one would just have to re-flash the card?
Absolutely, the worst you will be able to do with this is make your software stop working, sometimes people will lose a lot of work by re-flashing the card and as such won't be happy to find out that the unstable version they have downloaded is causing them problems.

In this case the stable version hasn't yet had the fixes implemented, so use the rpi-update. In a few weeks (+) time the stable version will have been updated with the fixes (unless they cause other issues, which is why beta testing is needed).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

mhedd
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:37 pm

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:47 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
Absolutely, the worst you will be able to do with this is make your software stop working, sometimes people will lose a lot of work by re-flashing the card and as such won't be happy to find out that the unstable version they have downloaded is causing them problems.

In this case the stable version hasn't yet had the fixes implemented, so use the rpi-update. In a few weeks (+) time the stable version will have been updated with the fixes (unless they cause other issues, which is why beta testing is needed).
Ok, that was my understanding (of rpi-update), just wanted to confirm. I'll try it tonight and see what happens. Also, I'll try the evtest procedure that was offered. Of course everyone's situation is different, but it's no big deal for me to re-flash. I've scripted all my typical setups and apps and time hasn't permitted me to get too fancy!

mhedd
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:37 pm

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:01 pm

I ran evtest. It only showed the event devices related to the wireless keyboard/trackpad combo connected. I went ahead and ran rpi-update. There is still no sign of the touch device in evtest or attempting to use it in X. This seems to be looking like a hardware issue.

User avatar
Paul Webster
Posts: 772
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:49 am
Location: London, UK
Contact: Twitter

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:20 am

I wonder if removing your wireless dongle (and hence the keyboard and trackpad) will make a difference - and temporarily connect a USB keyboard (with no mouse emulation).

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:43 am

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:32 am

Yes, now I'd suggest RMAing the display, it clearly requires further investigation

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

User avatar
bfagioli
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:49 pm

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:07 pm

When I first installed and attached the display device to my B+ the display worked fine but the touch operation was very intermittent. Several times after reboot the touch would not work at all. Then I read somewhere that you might need adjust the memory split and give the GPU 128 MB. I checked my configuration (sudo raspi-config) and I did have it set at 32. I increased it to 64 and it worked better but still dropped out frequently. Then I went to 128 and it has worked perfectly since.

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:43 am

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:52 pm

OK,

Interesting, it might be worth trying to do

sudo vcdbg log msg

And see if there are any errors in there
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

mhedd
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:37 pm

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:49 pm

Paul Webster wrote:I wonder if removing your wireless dongle (and hence the keyboard and trackpad) will make a difference - and temporarily connect a USB keyboard (with no mouse emulation).
Paul, even I went so far as to have no keyboard plugged in and used ssh to start X. With that, evtest came back with "no hardware to test".

mhedd
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:37 pm

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:51 pm

bfagioli wrote:When I first installed and attached the display device to my B+ the display worked fine but the touch operation was very intermittent. Several times after reboot the touch would not work at all. Then I read somewhere that you might need adjust the memory split and give the GPU 128 MB. I checked my configuration (sudo raspi-config) and I did have it set at 32. I increased it to 64 and it worked better but still dropped out frequently. Then I went to 128 and it has worked perfectly since.
I did see someone comment on that for another issue, and mine (the 2B) was already at 128. I even upped it to 256, with no difference. But thank you for the suggestion.

mhedd
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:37 pm

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:55 pm

gsh wrote:Yes, now I'd suggest RMAing the display, it clearly requires further investigation

Gordon
Gordon, the command you gave me to run only had entries for HDMI and GPIOMAN (If you want me to post the output, I will). I'm assuming I should go back to Adafruit to RMA it? They sent me here when I first brought up my issue.

jrspacecadet
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:05 pm

Re: Official Pi Display - No Touch

Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:12 pm

Forgive me if this is nit useful, I'm new to the world of Raspberry Pi,I had the same problem, but running sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get upgrade as mentioned on the site where I bought my touch screen (http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-16872). I know everybody has already talked about running update, but no one seems to have mentioned upgrade, though honestly I have no idea exactly what it does :)

Return to “Official Foundation Display”