nzlowie

Another touch screen question

Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:52 am

Hi all
I'm very new to the Raspberry pi so please cut me a bit of slack and speak real slowly (LOL).

Anyway I've just unpacked and connected my pi to the new official screen, no worries there and it work great apart from the touch screen.
Can someone please step me through the setup of this new display, or should i wait a bit longer until some of the bugs are sorted as I've read that there are some issues with it locking up.....

Thanks Dave

topguy

Re: Another touch screen question

Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:02 pm

> no worries there and it work great apart from the touch screen.

What do you mean with "apart from the touch screen" ?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/the-ea ... i-display/
Do you need more than is mentioned in the blog post ? Be more specific.

scotty101

Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:03 pm

With a recent update of Raspbian, I didn't have to do any thing special to get the display and touchscreen working.

If I were you, I'd go back and re-connect the ribbon cables to the display board. The smaller cable of the two from the display module is the touch screen interface.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

SkyRise

Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:08 pm

I imagine the problem is exactly as the previous poster mentioned.

I almost completely overlooked the smaller connector for the touchscreen and only twigged after putting everything together...

nzlowie

Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:37 pm

Thanks guys, the small flat cable for the touch screen is connected but I'll recheck it... it went together so easily and booted up properly so i just tought there might be something in the software configuration i needed to change..

If there's nothing to change i just reset the touch cable.

Cheers Dave

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:14 pm

If you are getting touchscreen lockups then run

Code: Select all

sudo rpi-update
as there is a firmware fix.

recantha2

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:59 am

I thought no-one was recommending rpi-update any more because you never know what updates you're going to get?
--
Michael Horne - @recantha
Raspberry Pi blog - http://www.recantha.co.uk/blog

Cambridge Raspberry Jam
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cambridgeraspberryjam
Follow the Cambridge Raspberry Jam on Twitter - @cambridgejam

PeterO

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:08 am

recantha2 wrote:I thought no-one was recommending rpi-update any more because you never know what updates you're going to get?
They were people who didn't / don't understand the purpose of rpi-update. It's not something you need to run regularly, but it is needed when specific things have been fixed.

So for example everyone running an official touch screen will (should) have done an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade to get their system updated to use the LCD.
Now that there has been an update to the GPU firmware (to fix a touch screen problem) running rpi-update will move from the previously known up to date state to a slightly newer up to date state.

Problems can arise if you run rpi-update from a less than currently up to date system as unexpected things may get updated.

Personally I've never had problems with rpi-update but then I've only used it when told to by one of the foundation engineers.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

DanielBull

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:15 am

The biggest issue with rpi-update is it appears to convert your Pi to the unstable development tree and there's no way to go back again. Also the unstable development environment may or may not break existing applications and software if it introduces changes which those applications are not yet prepared for.

I myself have had issues with users reporting BerryIO isn't working and it was because they have run rpi-update. I also know other developers have reported similar issues.

As Peter implied it should only be used as a last resort when instructed by foundation engineers. If you do do it on an important system make a backup first and be prepared to re-image your SD card when the fix goes mainstream.

DanielBull

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:17 am

For those that wish to see further information Phil and myself raised this as an issue with the rpi-update developer and requested warnings be put in place describing exactly what rpi-update does:
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update/issues/158

fruitoftheloom

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:26 am

DanielBull wrote:The biggest issue with rpi-update is it appears to convert your Pi to the unstable development tree and there's no way to go back again. Also the unstable development environment may or may not break existing applications and software if it introduces changes which those applications are not yet prepared for.

I myself have had issues with users reporting BerryIO isn't working and it was because they have run rpi-update. I also know other developers have reported similar issues.

As Peter implied it should only be used as a last resort when instructed by foundation engineers. If you do do it on an important system make a backup first and be prepared to re-image your SD card when the fix goes mainstream.
You can undo an rpi-update as explained here:

https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit

DanielBull

Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:18 am

Is that the correct link?
I can see ways to select specific firmware but not a procedure to get back to stock Raspbian and have the usual apt-get update/upgrade take care of the firmware?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:43 am

DanielBull wrote:Is that the correct link?
I can see ways to select specific firmware but not a procedure to get back to stock Raspbian and have the usual apt-get update/upgrade take care of the firmware?
You were discussing rpi-update and just pointed out that one can choose firmware release installed ;)
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit

rpdom

Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:09 am

Reinstalling the raspberrypi-bootloader package with apt-get should put the files back to the current version.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get --reinstall install raspberrypi-bootloader

gadgetoid

Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:31 am

I've had to deal first hand with the fallout of encouraging users to run rpi-update, particularly because it, and anyone advocating it, makes no effort to explain that you're installing untested, unreleased, bleeding-edge firmware which could have any number of breaking changes or incompatibilities.

Yes you can undo it, but that doesn't mean anyone should do it in the first place. And it definitely doesn't mean it should be recommended willy-nilly without at least some effort to explain to present and future users why it's a terrible, awful idea and they should not under any circumstances get into a habit of doing it.

What happens is roughly this:
  • User updates
  • User is happy and forgets that they ever updated
  • Problem occurs with something else
  • Maximum Frustration for user and anyone trying to support them
  • ... wait a minute, did you run rpi-update?
  • Facepalm, facepalm for everyone!
Most of the earlier problems with rpi-update were caused by old Pi Camera tutorials recommending its use, despite the fact the firmware had long since been released and available via apt-get. When device-tree was emerging, a lot of users would still blindly run "rpi-update" as a debugging or magical fix step despite it being unnecessary. The next time they tried XYZ product they'd find it wouldn't work and they'd have no idea why.

Now I feel I need to jump in and make sure we don't set that same precedent again with the LCD. Because 6 months from now everyone will have forgotten about all of this, and any flakiness with the touchscreen will lead people right to forum threads and tutorials that say "Just run rpi-update and everything will be fine."

I hate to hijack a thread to make this point. But things like this end up wasting an awful lot of my time and no-doubt the time of others. I can't stop you recommending it- but please, please have some consideration for the repercussions.

Return to “Official Foundation Display”