barneyman

RPI 7" TouchScreen

Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:01 am

- anyone else got the touchscreen element working ?
- what are the i2c and int pins for ?

some observations so you don't repeat my mistakes :)

1. panel2 (underneath) is a *pig* to insert into .. make sure the dark (~3mm) part of ribbon cable is *completely* obscured by the *open* clip
2. if you use raspian-ua-netinst to build all your pies you're going to have to fetch the rpi-update package and run that (the doc'd apt-get update/upgrade is not sufficient)

jusme

Re: RPI 7" TouchScreen

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:15 am

Got one yesterday from Farnell :D. Works like a charm, including the touchscreen, using a standard raspbian installation on a Pi 2.

One issue I have noticed is that when using the camera and the display together it occasionally locks up (image frozen, camera LED stuck on but Linux otherwise still functional). Requires a reboot to clear it. This has even happened with the raspistill utility in preview mode.

Suspected a power supply issue, so wired a proper lab PSU directly to the jumper wires between the Pi and the display to power them both. Was pulling ~750mA with the camera and display running, and still had freezes. No issues with the display disconnected...
Sometimes you need to reinvent the wheel, not because you need wheels, but because you need inventors

laughlinez

Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:17 pm

- anyone else got the touchscreen element working ?
You will need to sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
For the touch interface i assume, but trying to find data now.

ggalt

Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:20 pm

Does anyone know which Xorg driver is used to drive the screen? I'd like to try different distros (in particular, Arch).

fruitoftheloom

Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:48 pm

Retired disgracefully.....

jusme

Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:51 pm

laughlinez wrote:
I can confirm that the touchscreen works without them!
Sometimes you need to reinvent the wheel, not because you need wheels, but because you need inventors

laughlinez

Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:22 pm

laughlinez wrote:

I can confirm that the touchscreen works without them!
Agree - works simply by apt-get upgrade etc...
I am hoping we can interface software to the touch part of the display via the driver gpio pins (I2C and/or INT).
i.e I'd like to wake up the display with a proximity sensor as well as "touch" as sleeping display.

neoxharsh

Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:02 pm

I have ubuntu mate installed, do anyone know how to display that on the screen, because when i boot up I just see black screen

barneyman

Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:08 pm

laughlinez wrote:
You will need to sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
no, that's not suffice, *if you use the rapsbian-ua-netinst* - after an explicit rpi-update the screen works, the touch doesn't *and* the screen is upside down :)
https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/c ... own_after/

I can confirm everything works perfectly with a raspbian download from here

john4663

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:37 am

Have tried adding "lcd_rotate=2" to my /boot/config.txt and rebooted, but it hasn't changed anything.

Do I need to upgrade the boot loader, and if so, how ?

I'm running latest raspbian whezzy (5/5/15) and have done "sudo apt-get update" / "sudo apt-get upgrade".

LCD display is working and so is touch input. Just want to rotate the screen by 180 degrees.

JSingleton

Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:15 pm

I understand it's possible to run multiple displays at once. So you could run the new touch screen and a normal HDMI screen together. Has anyone tried this and how does it perform?

Similarly, I've read you can use the HDMI in addition to a VGA adaptor (e.g. Gert 666) on the GPIO DPI. Can you use 3 screens at once (HDMI/DPI/DSI) or are there bandwidth limitations with large displays?

Has anyone got the desktop to span multiple displays? Or are we currently limited to using the screens separately e.g. one for desktop one for video?
Computing4Kids.com
@shutdownscanner
unop.uk

polob12

Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:54 pm

john4663 wrote:Have tried adding "lcd_rotate=2" to my /boot/config.txt and rebooted, but it hasn't changed anything.

Do I need to upgrade the boot loader, and if so, how ?

I'm running latest raspbian whezzy (5/5/15) and have done "sudo apt-get update" / "sudo apt-get upgrade".

LCD display is working and so is touch input. Just want to rotate the screen by 180 degrees.
Try this, worked for me :

display_rotate=0 Normal
display_rotate=1 90 degrees
display_rotate=2 180 degrees
display_rotate=3 270 degrees
display_rotate=0x10000 horizontal flip
display_rotate=0x20000 vertical flip

Then allocate more memory to the GPU (sudo raspi-config). I went from 64M to 128M.

I do have issues with touch input, especially when using only one power supply. Then it works, then it doesn't... When I connect 2 seperate supplies it's mostly ok but occasionally just doesnt work.. One power supply is a 1.2A, the other a 2.0A although just the latter should suffice..

Hope I'll get this sorted out, the goal was to have only one power supply. Going to connect two 2.0A supplies this weekend and see how that goes.

Cheers

Return to “Official Foundation Display”