just received brand new official 7" touchscreen which is a very welcome addition to the Raspberry lineup.
I've assembled everything as per the guide, downloaded the latest NOOBS, installed it onto a SD card, booted into Raspbian, updated and upgraded everything and the screen is now up and running.
I have however noticed a few major problems:
- The graphics in GUI and also console text during boot/use are not using the whole active display area. I don't mean the black bezel around (obviously), but it just seems there's about 1cm border area of the actual active display area which is not used. Compared to the videos of the actual display in use in tutorials, this doesn't seem to be the case for others.
- This reduced screen size seems to be also confirmed by the actual detected display size in GUI - showing 752x448 pixels, instead of the official 800x480 pixels
- The touch (probably as a result) is severely out of calibration - the mouse cursor shows further right the closer I am to the left edge of the screen and further left the closer I am to the right edge.
- I also don't see the bottom of the screen in GUI
- The reboot shows just random garbage on the screen, rather than a logo or anything meaningful. I am not sure if it's just intentional (or not possible to change), but it just looks odd until the console starts showing boot messages.