PeterO

Surprised to see you promoting W10

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:17 pm

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/windo ... pberry-pi/

Really ? Considering that threads here on the subject are being locked due to legal uncertainties should you be promoting it ?

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

fruitoftheloom

Re: Surprised to see you promoting W10

Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:41 pm

PeterO wrote:

Really ? Considering that threads here on the subject are being locked due to legal uncertainties should you be promoting it ?

PeterO

+1 totally agree and not the first time MagPi have published questionable content.
Retired disgracefully.....

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:23 pm

Oh FFS.

Will investigate.

In the meantime, the questionable legality of this will still mean I close threads until told otherwise.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

fanoush

Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:26 pm

I tried it and it was really a Windows experience. Making ISO took 3-4 hours, flashing to sd card with this tool took another couple of hours. Then I found the latest stable 1809 version crashes at boot (nice smiley with QR code). Did another round with 1803 version and had plenty of hours of "Please wait a moment" spinning circles of many types but after many reboots it finally booted into desktop and it is very slow (and cpu looks locked to 600MHz). And ethernet network does not work. So if you are used to linux for years this will give you everything you were missing compressed into day or two :-)

lucyhattersley

Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:07 pm

In light of the legitimate concerns regarding Windows 10 I have removed the link from the Windows 10 story and added this note to the story:
Editor's note. Several readers have raised the point that there is no official means to get hold of a Windows 10 for ARM installer.  Microsoft is working with manufacturers to build Windows 10 ARM devices; and has this Windows 10 on ARM guidance for developers. The only way to get Windows 10 for ARM at the moment seems to be with a machine pre-installed with the OS.

In the absence of a legal route to installation, we have opted to remove the link from this story and suggest our readers steer clear of this Windows 10 on Pi installation.

hippy

Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:30 am

As we're talking 'legality' and licensing -- shouldn't all the registered trademarks used in MagPi be acknowledged as such when those are used ?

code_exec

Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:07 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:41 pm
PeterO wrote:

PeterO

+1 totally agree and not the first time MagPi have published questionable content.
Agreed, they published a review for Eltechs' ExaGear a couple of years ago which is a paid solution for running i386 Linux apps (and Win32 apps with WINE). Eltechs encourage you to use an outdated version of Chrome for Linux i386 (Chrome 49 and newer don't support i386 Linux) to browse the internet. Back then, there was no free trial for ExaGear and no refunds, meaning that if you bought it and weren't impressed, you had basically flushed £20 down the toilet.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop images for the Raspberry Pi 3.

https://github.com/CodeExecution/Ubuntu-ARM64-RPi

code_exec

Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:12 pm

The Windows 10 ISO generators that can be used to create a Windows 10 ARM64 ISO for the Pi download the UUP files for a Windows 10 ARM64 insider build from the official Microsoft servers. Once it has downloaded all the required UUP files, it creates an ISO using them. You can also make ISOs for x64 and x86 hardware and boot from them using the UEFI/BIOS and then install a Windows 10 insider preview build directly from the ISO. The Pi has no BIOS or UEFI, so third-party firmware (TianoCore UEFI) is used to boot Windows 10 on the Pi.

You could probably also get Windows 10 ARM working by using u-boot which can emulate UEFI, but I haven't tried this. I haven't even tried using Windows 10 on the Pi, because I just don't have the patience to wait a couple of minutes just for the most basic of programs to load.

Chances of WiFi ever working on Windows 10 ARM on the Pi are very low considering the Broadcom WiFi drivers are not open source.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop images for the Raspberry Pi 3.

https://github.com/CodeExecution/Ubuntu-ARM64-RPi

jamesh

Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:51 pm

code_exec wrote:
Chances of WiFi ever working on Windows 10 ARM on the Pi are very low considering the Broadcom WiFi drivers are not open source.
Linux kernel drivers are open source. Should be enough to make aWIndows driver. (caled brcmfmac)

The firmware running on the chip itself is closed, but that I think is independent of OS.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ejolson

Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:28 am

code_exec wrote:
You could probably also get Windows 10 ARM working by using u-boot which can emulate UEFI, but I haven't tried this. I haven't even tried using Windows 10 on the Pi, because I just don't have the patience to wait a couple of minutes just for the most basic of programs to load.
Unless Windows 10 for ARM can run Raspbian under Linux Subsystem for Windows, it doesn't seem very useful to me.

At the same time, since these tiny ARM-based machines are starting to be used by the fashionable elite as desktop computers, it makes sense for Microsoft to get interested in making their software compatible.

tpyo kingg

Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:46 am

ejolson wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:28 am
At the same time, since these tiny ARM-based machines are starting to be used by the fashionable elite as desktop computers, it makes sense for Microsoft to get interested in making their software compatible.
It won't run convincingly though. While the 3B+ doesn't compete against high end hardware, it already outperforms slower legacy systems in the few tasks where they can be compared.

However, any success, but especially in the area of learning and teaching, will have put the machines on that company's radar. I hope RPF learned well from what happened to OLTPC early on.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:06 am

Windows Desktop 10 ARM like other variants of Windows 10 for ARM have been compiled for Qualcomm SoCs, which is quite differing architecture.

I feel that after having read various posts & blogs it is an excercise in hacking with dubious legality, obviously differing countries have differing rules.

Personally if one really wants Windows 10 it is better to buy a x86-64 SBC.

I for one do not see any value in running Windows 10 on a Raspberry Pi, though would consider Microsoft Azure OS:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azure_Sphere
Retired disgracefully.....

alphanumeric

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:19 pm

At one time I could legally download Windows 10 on Arm via my My Visual Studio Enterprise subscription (formally MSDN). That same option is now gone from the latest Windows 10 ISO downloads. I never really figured out if it was there by accident or on purpose? You had to go hunting to find it. I downloaded it but never did anything with it. Not yet anyway. Just a FYI post that there were legal downloads sources for some people.

geev03

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:19 am

I liked the WsL , WoA (Windows 10 -1803) on a remote Raspberry Pi 3B .

64-bit 'Windows 10' on Pi3B wasn't as sooth as the experience on a 1 GB RAM touch tablet running 32-bit Windows 10 -1903. Unlike the 32-bit Windows tablet (with no WsL), it was fun to explore the limits of Pi3B as a web server.. The digital licence (for WoA on Pi3B) was free too...

With 4 GB RAM , the new Pi4B should give a WoA experience far better than my 1GB ,32-bit Windows tablet. But I can't do it today as the UEFI used on the PI 3 is not suitable for Pi4B.

What is against trying a 64-bit OS on this 4GB Pi4B that can give the best of Linux (WsL) and MS Windows at the same time?

geev03

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:36 am

Eagerly waiting for using WsL on Pi4B-4 using the WoA '64 bit operating system' ( currently on Pi3B ).
Attachments
woa_ARMv8.jpg
woa_ARMv8.jpg (64.65 KiB) Viewed 1525 times

Return to “The MagPi”