DarkPlatinum

MagPi issue 75 misspelling

Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:19 pm

Hello, just got my magpi issue 75 today and found a misspelling. Its nothing serious but just thought to point it out if you want to correct the pdf version. The issue is on page 10 the schematic for the 4D arcade. The Thermal printer is misspelled as "Tehrmal printer" ;)
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): Https://Html.dynu.net

gkaiseril

Re: MagPi issue 75 misspelling

Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:06 pm

The PDF format can be quit complex so you will not be able to edit in Nano or Leaf. in fact the document that describes the format of the PDF file type is over 1,200 pages. It contains sections about the various compression methods that could be applied to the text and images and what types of encryption could be applied to the PDF. It could also be possible that the PDF has Digital Right Management, DRM, applied to it that prevents any alteration. So first you need to determine if the PDF has been secured or not. If not secured then you maybe able to edit the PDF. Possible PDF editors include GIMP, and LibreOffice.There is also the PDFTK,PDF Tool Kit, from PDF Labs that can remove passwords using the password, and uncompress the PDF. Once uncompressed one can change the text strings within the PDF.

If one looks at the permissions of the PDF using the file manager, one will see only the owner of the PDF for MAGPI 75 can edit the PDF. You can ask the publisher to correct the misspelling, for the password, or live with the misspelling.

DarkPlatinum

Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:27 pm

gkaiseril wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:06 pm
The PDF format can be quit complex so you will not be able to edit in Nano or Leaf. in fact the document that describes the format of the PDF file type is over 1,200 pages. It contains sections about the various compression methods that could be applied to the text and images and what types of encryption could be applied to the PDF. It could also be possible that the PDF has Digital Right Management, DRM, applied to it that prevents any alteration. So first you need to determine if the PDF has been secured or not. If not secured then you maybe able to edit the PDF. Possible PDF editors include GIMP, and LibreOffice.There is also the PDFTK,PDF Tool Kit, from PDF Labs that can remove passwords using the password, and uncompress the PDF. Once uncompressed one can change the text strings within the PDF.

If one looks at the permissions of the PDF using the file manager, one will see only the owner of the PDF for MAGPI 75 can edit the PDF. You can ask the publisher to correct the misspelling, for the password, or live with the misspelling.
Im confused, why can't they just edit it from online? I thought PDFs are easily editable?
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): Https://Html.dynu.net

gkaiseril

Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:05 pm

This format is over 25 years old and is very much file orientated. But the main reason this cannot be edited is the publisher's locking of the PDF file with a password.

Adobe Acrobat is best for making small editing changes. It is not a word processor with text reflow and page reflow. You can download the PDF specification file from Adobe if you want a good read.

Paeryn

Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:24 pm

I doubt DarkPlatinum was expecting some 3rd party to modify the pdf directly.
I'm pretty sure the original master (in whatever format it is in) can be edited by the authors and a new version of the pdf with any errors corrected can be created.
She who travels light — forgot something.

robthez
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:24 am

As the people that forged the PDFs, we're able to change them so the online version is updated. Thanks for the spot!

gkaiseril

Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:49 pm

Okular will allow some manipulation of PDF's but it does not support editing text.

With a Windows or Mac system and using the paid for Acrobat Professional, one can either edit the text or use the Redaction tool to remove the offending text and replace it with the correct spelling. I have done it, but since my system does not have the original font, a substitute font was used and it looks strange.

Not all PDF viewers and editors are created equally.

Return to “The MagPi”