elkberry

#59: Blue Dot

Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:31 pm

Issue #59: the short article about Blue Dot ... many thanks for making me aware of it, this was right on time!

For some time I was in need of a simple remote control to a set of demonstration Pi Zero Ws and 3Bs, which I need to cleanly shut down after a demo. So far, I had to ssh into them. While Python has very good Bluetooth support, I was lost; and then I would need to come up with a small Android app too.

Thanks to the Blue Dot I could quickly integrate it into my demo Pis. Beside a looong press of the blue dot for shutdown, I also added some other remote control functionality that works by tapping the dot, or by press-n-hold, and then swiping.

So, this volume of the MagPi is my favorite one!
From ZX81 to Raspberry Pi, but wait ... where's the 7805 gone?

LetHopeItsSnowing

Re: #59: Blue Dot

Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:18 pm

I'm really pleased you found it useful.

If you haven't already take a look at the docs, there is lots more to discover http://bluedot.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Martin
"am I getting slower, or is stuff more complicated; either way I now have to write it down - stuffaboutcode.com"

elkberry

Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:40 pm

I already did :) and was immediately pleased by the quality of your documentation.

I'm now thinking about writing a multi-modal blue dot class that shall encapsulate the slightly tricky code to handle simple presses, long presses, and tap-hold-slide correctly for the same single blue dot. Reminds me of mouse event handling for a single button mouse (oh no! Apple lawyers knocking at my front door!). At the moment I have the basic code in my specific project, but it would probably be better to put it into its own support class. Others might benefit from it too.
From ZX81 to Raspberry Pi, but wait ... where's the 7805 gone?

LetHopeItsSnowing

Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:41 pm

Please share or create an issue in the Blue Dot repository for an enhancements. I'll see if they fit into the a future version.
"am I getting slower, or is stuff more complicated; either way I now have to write it down - stuffaboutcode.com"

ColonelDare

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:24 am

A really nice piece of software with easy-to-follow recipes (even for me!), providing a gentle learning curve. Excellent!

Thank you so much. Now all I need to do is build my buggy, attach my reclaimed Big Trak drivetrain and off we go exploring Mars...

btw will Bluetooth reach that far?.... ;-)

B.Goode

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:05 am

btw will Bluetooth reach that far?.
No.

Perhaps consider using WiFi between your earth station and the Orbiter, and just use BT for the final leg from the Orbiter to the Martian surface.

Fully agree with the comments about the usefulness of Martin's BlueDot solution and supporting documentation.
Last edited by B.Goode on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

LetHopeItsSnowing

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:55 pm

No - Bluetooth wont stretch to mars!

One of the tests I did when creating Bluetooth was ensuring that the app & library handled a close of connection in the event of a loss of signal. However I couldn't get it to lose connection, the length of my house and garden wasn't long enough.

So after putting a Pi Zero W in a box then wrapping it in foil and walking probably 20m away, I finally lost signal!

Return to “The MagPi”