Corvidael

AIY and the VNC project

Wed May 17, 2017 4:01 am

I went the easy route and simply downloaded and burned the ISO for the issue 57 box (which I just received today and now have it up and running)
However, when I went in to enable VNC, I'm getting an error that I need a subscription (as opposed to the regular Raspian image)..
I was really hoping to maintain a headless connection to this beautiful little box without having to have it connected to a monitor.

Anybody know what my options are?

thagrol

Re: AIY and the VNC project

Wed May 17, 2017 11:10 am

Doesn't solve your vnc problem but I'm using mine headless via ssh with X11 forwarding for the odd gui app I need.
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

Corvidael

Wed May 17, 2017 4:31 pm

thagrol wrote:Doesn't solve your vnc problem but I'm using mine headless via ssh with X11 forwarding for the odd gui app I need.
Yeah, I've got that going, but I'm so addicted to the VNC experience now with all my Pi's, The early days were all XII forwarding and it feels like such a step backwards.
Just curious why the VNC on this image is different than that on the Raspian one, and -- shy of actually buying a license -- if there was a way to replace it with the Raspbian one.

I'll give this a shot: https://www.realvnc.com/download/vnc/raspberrypi/

S0litaire

Wed May 17, 2017 5:06 pm

What viewer you using? realVNC's own or another?

just make sure you update r-pi first, the version of VNCServer that's in the google image is old and has issues letting clients connect.

Just make sure you enable VNC again in raspi-config after updating.
The RealVNC own viewer should let you connect.
Not tried other viewers yet.
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Anáil nathrach, ortha bhas betha, do cheol déanta

thagrol

Wed May 17, 2017 8:13 pm

Corvidael wrote:
thagrol wrote:Doesn't solve your vnc problem but I'm using mine headless via ssh with X11 forwarding for the odd gui app I need.
Yeah, I've got that going, but I'm so addicted to the VNC experience now with all my Pi's, The early days were all XII forwarding and it feels like such a step backwards.
Horses for courses I guess.

I use X11 over ssh coz:
  1. I'm old school
  2. My main PC has multiple (3) monitors
  3. My x server is cygwin-x in "multiple window" mode so X apps aren't restricted to a screen size determined by the pi and are integrated into my desktop.
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

mattmiller

Wed May 17, 2017 8:31 pm

You need to update the image to get VNC to work properly - its fine once you've done it
viewtopic.php?f=114&t=182283#p1157235

Corvidael

Thu May 18, 2017 2:31 am

mattmiller wrote:You need to update the image to get VNC to work properly - its fine once you've done it
viewtopic.php?f=114&t=182283#p1157235
Hilarious, maybe. I was so excited when I got home and found the MagPi package on my doorstep, that I spent my entire evening bending cardboard and pressing metal clips together.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
and

sudo apt-get upgrade
are things I ALWAYS do, and often. But got too excited with this install.

So here I go:

The following packages will be upgraded:
  alacarte binutils ca-certificates gstreamer1.0-alsa gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-x
  initramfs-tools libaudiofile1 libavcodec56 libavformat56 libavresample2 libavutil54 libbluray1 libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc6 libc6-dbg libc6-dev
  libgnutls-deb0-28 libgnutls-openssl27 libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0 libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0 libgstreamer1.0-0 libgudev-1.0-0 libicu52
  libjasper1 libldap-2.4-2 libopenblas-base libpam-chksshpwd libpam-modules libpam-modules-bin libpam-runtime libpam-systemd libpam0g
  libraspberrypi-bin libraspberrypi-dev libraspberrypi-doc libraspberrypi0 libsmbclient libswscale3 libsystemd0 libtiff5 libtirpc1 libudev1
  libwbclient0 libxslt1.1 locales multiarch-support pi-greeter piclone pix-plym-splash raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-sys-mods
  raspberrypi-ui-mods raspi-config rc-gui realvnc-vnc-server realvnc-vnc-viewer rpcbind rpi-chromium-mods samba-common samba-libs systemd
  systemd-sysv tzdata udev unzip vim-common vim-tiny wget wiringpi
73 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 110 MB of archives.
After this operation, 2,608 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
SWEET!

Ok, this:

Setting up realvnc-vnc-server (6.1.0.27437) ...
Updating /etc/pam.d/vncserver
Updating /etc/pam.conf... done
Looking for font path... not found.
Generating private key... done
Installed systemd unit for VNC Server in Service Mode daemon
Start or stop the service with:
  systemctl (start|stop) vncserver-x11-serviced.service
Mark or unmark the service to be started at boot time with:
  systemctl (enable|disable) vncserver-x11-serviced.service
Enabling systemd service to match SysV service
Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/vncserver-x11-serviced.service to /usr/lib/systemd/system/vncserver-x11-serviced.service.

Installed systemd unit for VNC Server in Virtual Mode daemon
Start or stop the service with:
  systemctl (start|stop) vncserver-virtuald.service
Mark or unmark the service to be started at boot time with:
  systemctl (enable|disable) vncserver-virtuald.service

(gconftool-2:16395): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11
gconfd-2: no process found
Setting up realvnc-vnc-viewer (6.1.0.27437) ...
Setting up rpi-chromium-mods (20170418) ...
Setting up unzip (6.0-16+deb8u3) ...
Setting up wiringpi (2.44) ...
Setting up raspberrypi-bootloader (1.20170427-1) ...
looks like something easily worked through.
Update at 11

Corvidael

Thu May 18, 2017 2:35 am

as we say in Canada:
"Bob's your uncle."

It didn't take any further steps than the update/upgrade/reboot.

Return to “The MagPi”