rotwang

Colour choices in text

Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:19 pm

Just a gentle prod to your layout artists, there are NO circumstances under which yellow text on a white background is a good idea, and large areas of white text on black are not much better. At least not if you want the text to be read in comfort. Can't fault the content, good as always, but content I can't read in comfort is content that I'm not going to get much benefit from.
Roger

gordon77

Re: Colour choices in text

Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:49 pm

Agreed, I can't remember where I saw it recently but it was unreadable.

robthez
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:13 am

Thanks for letting us know - was there any more white text on yellow outside of the Pimoroni competition page?

rotwang

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:59 pm

To be more specific, MagPi42, many pages of white text on black(ish) background, p16 onwards. I can see the blackboard motif may have it's attractions for some, but I consider the function of text is to be read, not looked at as a pretty picture. I can just about tolerate it on the first page ONLY of a multi-page article, but any more than that is just plain tiring.

The other problem is using yellow text for syntax highlighting in program listings. To me, yellow on white is completely unreadable, might just as well not be there.

I've never been diagnosed with any sort of colour discrimination problem, so I don't think it's me, other peoples opinions may differ.
Roger

robthez wrote:Thanks for letting us know - was there any more white text on yellow outside of the Pimoroni competition page?

DarrenHill

Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:07 am

I'd say even the black on blue background (the HATs article from page 70 onward in issue 42) is pushing it.

Was reading it last night, and after the first couple of pages I had to take a break from it as it was messing with my eyes.

Milliways

patterned backgrounds

Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:28 am

I would like to add my bit to the comments on layout. The More PIZERO PROJECTS is very difficult to read. All the patterned backgrounds make text very difficult to read.

rotwang

Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:04 pm

I think what we have here is a clash of two cultures and whoever wins, the loser is not going to be a happy bunny.
One one hand we have designers who want to make every page look like the descendant of a medieval illuminated manuscript, on the other hand we have people who read the stuff and want a layout more like a scientific paper, between the two is an almost unbridgeable gulf.
I'm on the side of the readers, I want body text in a nice roman font, with code lines set in a fixed width font (demi-bold courier if you can find it), it's about as exciting as plain porridge without salt, and it sends artists off into the corner in a hissy fit, but it makes clear what the author has to say.

So that's my tuppence worth, artists hate me already, so that's not gonna change anytime soon.
Roger

GTR2Fan

Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:08 pm

+1
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

Wizzabeck

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:39 pm

As a new subscriber, four issues, I would like to add that white type on black pages is also terrible from a recycling point of view. And 10% of we males have red/green colour vision problems to boot! Not usually appreciated by arty types. Llove everything about the foundation.

Ken

Return to “The MagPi”