rm53

MagPi Layout feedback

Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:09 pm

Hi,
the first 10 or 20 issues of the MagPi were very readable onscreen, regardless of the used device - I mostly used an iPad mini and a Linux Notebook with FullHD screen.
Younger editions are getting always fancier, flashier designs. Maybe this looks great in print, but on screen it is getting worse all the time. Some fonts are really big, some fonts are so tiny that I gave up on the iPad mini. But even with the FullHD screen a full-double-page view is hardly readable. Especially some text boxes contain ultra tiny fonts.
Could you kindly remind your layout managers that there are people in other countries who depend on readability on computer screen?
Another point: Code examples often are not usable for copy-paste, as they contain typographical quotation marks, which do not word in Python. Also, around dashes often there are invisible spaces, spoiling the interpretation of the code by the Python system. Would be good to leave code examples verbatim as-is, with no (automatic) reformatting whatsoever.

Otherwise I like MagPi very much and I wish you all a successful 2016 and many thrilling ideas for coming issues of the magazine!

DougieLawson

Re: MagPi Layout feedback

Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:19 pm

rm53 wrote:Would be good to leave code examples verbatim as-is, with no (automatic) reformatting whatsoever.
Would be better to publish the code on Github in a ready to run downloadable format. That was done up to MagPi 31.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

robthez
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:14 pm

Most of the code does get posted to GitHub by the various devs, there's usually a link next to code where to find it. We're trying to put in place a system where anything that's not on GitHub we can do ourselves but we're not there quite yet.

As for readability, thanks for letting us know about that. I mean for the moment zooming in might be best but I'll have a chat with the design team and the rest of the editorial staff to see if we can maybe have a better eye for that. Thanks for letting us know.

Milliways

Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:38 am

rm53 wrote:Hi,
the first 10 or 20 issues of the MagPi were very readable onscreen, regardless of the used device - I mostly used an iPad mini and a Linux Notebook with FullHD screen.
Younger editions are getting always fancier, flashier designs. Maybe this looks great in print, but on screen it is getting worse all the time. Some fonts are really big, some fonts are so tiny that I gave up on the iPad mini. But even with the FullHD screen a full-double-page view is hardly readable. Especially some text boxes contain ultra tiny fonts.
Could you kindly remind your layout managers that there are people in other countries who depend on readability on computer screen?
I agree. I use an iPad mini which is generally easy to read (and light enough to hold in one hand).

Unfortunately I find it impossible to read the MagPi without magnifying the text, which makes reading articles quite an effort as you have to keep repositioning the text.

It appears to me that the font size selected is too small to display even on the Retina display - letters appear to be about 4 pixels wide.

Can we please have a font which can be displayed on screen.

Return to “The MagPi”