RaspISteve

Don't Buy Magpi 40 from eBay

Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:20 pm

Guys,
Just looking at the comments from folk trying to buy a (their regular??) Magpi from the likes of WH Smith (UK News Agent). Seems the first comes, first served are buying up all (mulitple) copies in one go (reports of this in the comments). One comment reports seeing issue 40 on eBay for 35 quid.

Please take this thread title with a pinch of salt, it you want to buy Mapgi via eBay feel free but I think the sellers are going against the spirit of the whole idea of getting these little wonders into the hands of our future clever folk.

Admin: feel free to delete me. Rant Over!
Share and Enjoy.

BMS Doug

Re: Don't Buy Magpi 40 from eBay

Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:31 pm

RaspISteve wrote:Guys,
Just looking at the comments from folk trying to buy a (their regular??) Magpi from the likes of WH Smith (UK News Agent). Seems the first comes, first served are buying up all (mulitple) copies in one go (reports of this in the comments). One comment reports seeing issue 40 on eBay for 35 quid.

Please take this thread title with a pinch of salt, it you want to buy Mapgi via eBay feel free but I think the sellers are going against the spirit of the whole idea of getting these little wonders into the hands of our future clever folk.

Admin: feel free to delete me. Rant Over!
I'm guilty of buying multiple, but not of e-baying them.
Although I can't guarantee that the recipients of the ones I re-distributed didn't then E-bay them, I doubt it, given the expressions of pleasure that they expressed upon receiving them.
(two re-sold for £6 each, 3 given away, 1 sent to germany (without Zero)).

As I see it this is a short term problem, the MagPi will be published all month (I'd hate to guess how many re-prints) and soon the market will be flooded with them, dropping the price back to far saner levels and driving the e-bayers to direct their sales abroad (where the scarcity may still exist).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

DougieLawson

Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:39 pm

The world is full of spivs and racketeers. There'll always be a mug punter who'll buy their wares.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

gordon77

Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:26 pm

Someone sent a link to one for £99 !!

http://www.ebay.it/itm/The-MagPi-Magazi ... Sw8-tWV4L8

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:12 pm

A subscription is much cheaper than the eBay scalpers are charging for a single issue - AND you'll get your free Zero, plus a cable bundle. https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/subscribe/
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Bazinga

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:51 am

Why is a 3 month subscription only available for USA residents?

hippy

Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:23 am

BMS Doug wrote:the MagPi will be published all month (I'd hate to guess how many re-prints) and soon the market will be flooded with them
Is that just speculation or is it a confirmed fact ?

Massi

Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:30 am

sadly, this is the "normal" behaviour when something new comes out. When the first wave is over, no offer -> high prices
I think that for everyone out of uk the situation is the same.
So even if the child inside me would like to play with the new toy today, he will wait for new cakes to be ready :)

I think that the link to the italian ebay here above is mine. I posted it with a big LOL just as an example.
What hurts me is that here is full of guys WITH a pi0, moaning for every stupid thing and i'm without it :)

PS Liz i want cooked cakes!! :)

BMS Doug

Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:40 am

hippy wrote:
BMS Doug wrote:the MagPi will be published all month (I'd hate to guess how many re-prints) and soon the market will be flooded with them
Is that just speculation or is it a confirmed fact ?
Pure speculation I'm afraid.

I can't see any reason why they wouldn't re-print though.
Doug.

hippy

Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:07 pm

BMS Doug wrote:I can't see any reason why they wouldn't re-print though.
I think it depends on production runs, and whether cost effective.

I believe there were 20,000 in the first build and 10,000 were for cover freebies.

I would expect subsequent production runs of the Zero to go to distributors rather than be given away.

scotty101

Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:10 pm

hippy wrote: I would expect subsequent production runs of the Zero to go to distributors rather than be given away.
I hope that isn't the case. The advice given to those who couldn't get a copy of the magazine was to subscribe and take the option to start from issue 40 so they can get a Pi Zero.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

Woll

Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:42 pm

I've already got a Pi Zero because I got a MagPi on Thursday. But I had to buy the leads for £4 so I've not used it yet, as they've not arrived.

But the subscription where you get free cables is too good a deal for me. So I've subscribed and getting another one. But they said it won't be available till mid December. You all should subscribe as well.
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

Adrianfu

Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:21 am

Would like to get hold of a Pi zero but the magazine isn't sold where I live. Unfortunately living on a pension doesn't allow for o/s magazine subscriptions and the prices on eBay are way over the top. Hopefully when these are produced in numbers the prices will become affordable. Don't like being expected to pay 10 times the actual retail price.

Adrian

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 am

Adrianfu wrote:Would like to get hold of a Pi zero but the magazine isn't sold where I live. Unfortunately living on a pension doesn't allow for o/s magazine subscriptions and the prices on eBay are way over the top. Hopefully when these are produced in numbers the prices will become affordable. Don't like being expected to pay 10 times the actual retail price.

Adrian

You are not expected to pay that level of cash. Just wait for the prices to come down as production ramps up.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

DAI-X

Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:30 pm

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-Pi-Ze ... nav=SEARCH

What about this one, buy it now at £4999. The description is hilarious. Is it someone here?

Woll

Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:48 pm

DAI-X wrote:http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-Pi-Ze ... nav=SEARCH

What about this one, buy it now at £4999. The description is hilarious. Is it someone here?
He's got 100% feedback.
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

BMS Doug

Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:24 am

DAI-X wrote:http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-Pi-Ze ... nav=SEARCH

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=7398

http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Doug.

AJB2K3

Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:09 am

Would like to get hold of a Pi zero but the magazine isn't sold where I live. Unfortunately living on a pension doesn't allow for o/s magazine subscriptions and the prices on eBay are way over the top. Hopefully when these are produced in numbers the prices will become affordable. Don't like being expected to pay 10 times the actual retail price.

Adrian
You can download the mag free from the magpi site, but you will have to wait for the zero
To much pond skum in need on population control.
Back in the old days, we were smarter then the technology.
Nowadays technology makes us look like villages fools in front of the children!

Return to “The MagPi”