SimonSmall

More help on Git - e.g. Gitolite?

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:37 pm

I have read about Git in MagPi # 27,28,29 (Oct-Dec 2014, by Alec Clews), and am now using Git repositories for a lot of my work. I can easily see changes and wind them back if I change my mind. I have found Git a useful tool for both things that I code and for documentation, and it was these three articles that got me going. I have since read a lot more about Git, but I would like some additional guidance by way of a 'round 2' of Git articles (if anyone can be persuaded to write them)

I have started to use Gitolite as a home based Git repository manager. I can then clone these repositories as necessary and work on them; it all seems very easy. Although it is just me at the moment, I do have a couple of Pis, laptops, etc. and it would be useful to know how to set this up on my home network. At the moment, it is configured under a new user in the /home/ directories on my main Pi. I suspect that this would be useful for schools and for families with several Pi users. Is this something that can be done?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: More help on Git - e.g. Gitolite?

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:03 pm

Although I've been using git for a number of years, I still have to refer to Google frequently when I want to do anything even slightly off the beaten track. I recently set up a remote repo so I could backup projects at work from my local machine to a server, and others could access the data. I used the article here...

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-on-t ... -Protocols

In fact that whole site is a treasure trove of git information.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

DougieLawson

Re: More help on Git - e.g. Gitolite?

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:55 pm

I've been running gitolite for a very long time (before Sept 2012). I've even got it working with gitweb. It's a real bonus being able to try things out and revert to a good copy.

It runs well on my B+.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “The MagPi”