Khaine

Win 10 IOT portrait screen

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:29 am

Is it possible to rotate the display by 90 degrees together with touch screen? I tried multiple things and nothing works. I tried to set Display Orientation to Portrait in Windows Device Portal but it has absolutely 0 effect on anything. Setting lcd_rotate=1 or lcd_rotate=3 manually in config.txt has absolutely no effect too. Only display_rotate=1 is able to rotate the visuals, but only the visuals. Touchscreen stays in landscape and is basically impossible to use (icons are shifted in space). I have official 7' touchscreen with latest Win 10 IOT build. I even tried older builds of Win 10 IOT and nothing works.

Switching to Linux or any other OS is not an option - I want 90 degree rotation in Win 10 IOT. I saw that on Linux people force this visual 90 degree rotation and then modify transform matrix for touchscreen, but I'm not sure if Win 10 IOT will allow me to do something like that.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Win 10 IOT portrait screen

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:50 am

Sounds like the WinIOT buid is too old to support the newer config.txt rotate options, which when combined with the dtblob overlays for touchscreen rotation would be able to do what you want.

So not sure what to suggest.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Khaine

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:54 am

It's latest 17763 build, it can't possibly be "too old". It can only be broken.

jamesh

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:59 am

Khaine wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:54 am
It's latest 17763 build, it can't possibly be "too old". It can only be broken.
Why can't it be too old? If it older than the changes to the config support for the newer touchscreen rotate stuff then it's too old.

And that's down to Microsoft to fix. We don't have anything to do with Win10IoT.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

Khaine

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:09 am

Why can't it be too old?
According to what I found in the internet these changes to config.txt are much older (at least lcd_rotate setting) than this Win10 IOT build which was released in October. But older builds don't work too.
And that's down to Microsoft to fix
That's what I'm afraid of, but I still want to check if I can trick OS to do what I want. I could force display to rotate by using display_rotate, unfortunately it didn't work for touchscreen.

jamesh

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:29 am

Khaine wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:09 am
Why can't it be too old?
According to what I found in the internet these changes to config.txt are much older (at least lcd_rotate setting) than this Win10 IOT build which was released in October. But older builds don't work too.
And that's down to Microsoft to fix
That's what I'm afraid of, but I still want to check if I can trick OS to do what I want. I could force display to rotate by using display_rotate, unfortunately it didn't work for touchscreen.
If the code is new enough, then you can use the dtblob overlay for touchscreens to do the rotation.

dtoverlay=rpi-ft5406,touchscreen-swapped-x-y=1,touchscreen-inverted-x=1

or some combination. The touchscreen parameters can be found in /boot/overlays/README but copied here for completeness

Code: Select all

Name:   rpi-ft5406

Info:   Official Raspberry Pi display touchscreen

Load:   dtoverlay=rpi-ft5406,<param>=<val>

Params: touchscreen-size-x      Touchscreen X resolution (default 800)

touchscreen-size-y      Touchscreen Y resolution (default 600);

touchscreen-inverted-x  Invert touchscreen X coordinates (default 0);

touchscreen-inverted-y  Invert touchscreen Y coordinates (default 0);

touchscreen-swapped-x-y Swap X and Y cordinates (default 0);

Khaine

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:36 am

Looks like I don't have /boot/overlays folder. Folder /boot contains only boot.sdi file.

jamesh

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:01 am

Sorry, not sure I can help then, not at all familar with Win10IoT. You could simply add the folder to /boot and try it I suppose.

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”