slafoy

Best way to control Rpi from Rpi

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:10 pm

Hello, my question is what is the best way to control my rpi from another rpi. Basically, I have one pi hooked up to a screen and will control values on the GPIO pins of the second pi. Sort of a master slave scenario. They should never be further apart than 10 - 20 feet.

I have 2 raspberry pi 3's and both have the newest version of windows.

What i have tried so far is connecting them by the on board bluetooth.. I cannot even get the Microsoft sample to work. It crashes during pairing. Perhaps the on board bluetooth is not working correctly with windows, or pi to pi communication is not available through bluetooth.

I have also read some place (I can't remember where) that you can run a pi as a server but you cannot initiate communication to it from another pi. This would have been the best option for me as then the distance between the pi's would not matter as long as they were on the same network.

Any help here is appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

fruitoftheloom

Re: Best way to control Rpi from Rpi

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:01 pm

slafoy wrote:Hello, my question is what is the best way to control my rpi from another rpi. Basically, I have one pi hooked up to a screen and will control values on the GPIO pins of the second pi. Sort of a master slave scenario. They should never be further apart than 10 - 20 feet.

I have 2 raspberry pi 3's and both have the newest version of windows.

What i have tried so far is connecting them by the on board bluetooth.. I cannot even get the Microsoft sample to work. It crashes during pairing. Perhaps the on board bluetooth is not working correctly with windows, or pi to pi communication is not available through bluetooth.

I have also read some place (I can't remember where) that you can run a pi as a server but you cannot initiate communication to it from another pi. This would have been the best option for me as then the distance between the pi's would not matter as long as they were on the same network.

Any help here is appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Windows 10 Iot Core is a Client Device.

Bluetooth is not fully implemented as per Release Notes:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/w ... seNotesRTM
Retired disgracefully.....

Cancelor

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:24 pm

The best way I know of is to use the Raspbian operating system and to link the two with an Ethernet cable.
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

slafoy

Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:23 pm

I have stopped trying to pursue the Bluetooth option, and I have implemented a server on the raspberry pi I want to control. Now using another raspberry pi I am making async get and post call to the server to control / read its GPIO pins. This has the added bonus of being able to control the server from a web page on your local network, and if you change the port # from 80 to something else and add port mapping to your router you could access it from outside your local network. I have a demo running at home now so it is possible to control one pi from another, wireless over wifi.

Have a look at this guys post if you are looking to set up a server on the pi. viewtopic.php?f=105&t=137121

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”