bosko1978

Any way to instal SQL server express on Windows to IoT?

Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:49 pm

I want to be able to use entity framework in my project and I'd also like to be able to log data locally. On the Beaglebone black I used MySQL for this but I'd like to stick with all MS/.Net when I port my project over to RPI2/Win10IoT. Is it still to early to expect this?

juanpaexpedite

Re: Any way to instal SQL server express on Windows to IoT?

Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:43 am

The standard for this is using SQLite, and if you want yo make a server I understand you should create an app or an agent using a rest for instance and respond to the calls, watch other questions about SQL in this forum and here. https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... WindowsIoT

bosko1978

Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:39 pm

Thanks. I don't see anything related to running a local SQL DB on the RPI2 Win 10 IoT. I'm beginning to wonder if my use case is just not something others want to do with their apps. To me it seems essential that we have a way to use EF with .NET, but what do I know. ;) . I will keep my eyes open and then update this thread when I find something. Perhaps someone will need similar functionality.

markrad_msft

Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:03 pm

The only SQL option that currently exists that I am aware of is SQLite. There is a blog entry here http://blog.chrisbriggsy.com/Using-SQLI ... r-Preview/ that describes how to do this. I have not tried this for myself so your results may vary.

I hope this helps.
Mark Radbourne | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

UndergroundFun

Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:44 pm

Might be lighter weight to just log to a text file if you need something local.

It doesn't necessarily need a local copy of SQL (whatever edition) to do what you're wanting. That's going to add additional overhead that might affect other performance.

beta-tester

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:59 pm

would be very nice, if a MS Server Express version would exists/coming soon to install on a RPi2.
I would really like to use Server Express on RPi2 as a witness in a server mirroring environment - that would be very very handy to me.
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPiZeroW, ...

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”