ZenDragon

ZWave

Sat May 23, 2015 9:13 pm

I just picked up a couple Raspberry Pi 2 devices to start playing around with Windows 10 IoT. I've got everything installed and working and am able to debug/deploy from Visual Studio 2015 Community RC.

In looking at the web interface that is available in the default install, I noticed a "ZWaveBackgroundService" I know what ZWave is, and I did a little research and found a usb adapter that has been tested with Windows 10 IoT. I found the sample app on github, but its all written in C++. However, I am C# developer, I can probably figure out the CPP if I have to but I was really looking forward to working in the language that I am already good at.

Is there any SDK or API or something that I can use with C# to get into some ZWave development or am I going to have to re-learn C++? I'm sure I can use the wide array of sensors and what not available for the device to roll my own solutions. But mainly I am looking to control zwave light switches and outlets, which I don't want to attempt to make myself.

GerritV

Re: ZWave

Sat May 23, 2015 10:09 pm

You will need to figure out which dll's to use from that set up. The dll's don't care what language you are using as long as it is a managed language. So use what you are comfortable with.

GerritV

Sun May 24, 2015 11:27 am

A bit longer answer,

If you want to add switches etc to a Zwave network, you just add them. The app and drivers etc from the source code should do the heavy lifting for you.

If you want to write an app that talks Zwave, then you can do that in the language of your choice (VB or C++ or C#) by interfacing to the Zwave driver. You will have to build that from the source provided but that takes no knowledge of C++.

If you want to add custom devices then I think you are stuck with c++. I would start looking at enhancing (probably ) the Device Bridge and Zwave driver ,maybe some other parts.

The http://openzwave.org site should have more info as does the Alljoyn site.

GerritV

Sun May 24, 2015 11:58 am

This might provide some more detail on what I think you are trying to accomplish: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... WindowsIoT

ZenDragon

Sun May 24, 2015 4:39 pm

Great answers everyone thank you that should get me started! :) Yea I don't want to create my own devices, I just want to control and monitor retail zwave devices with my code. I havent had a chance to really dig into it yet, but that OpenZwave things looks promising!

Anybody know specifically what the "ZWaveBackgroundService" that was in the W10 IoT install actually does?

GerritV

Sun May 24, 2015 7:33 pm

You should look at the docs and source in the toolkit. And read up on Alljoyn at allseen.org

(edited, not fond of touch kbd's on tablets :-( )

rooflz

Wed May 27, 2015 3:41 pm

Disclaimer: I'm new to this, but recently got my zwave z-stick 2 and zwave smart switch working.

The ZWaveBackgroundService must be running on your Rpi2 to allow AllJoyn Explorer running on your PC to discover all of the zwave devices paired to the z-stick plugged into your Rpi2. It seems to create some sort of bridge. I'm still running into all sorts of issues, but I am able to turn the light on and off from AllJoyn Explorer running on my Windows 10 PC. Currently working on taking the XML from AllJoyn and generating the code to communicate with these devices from C#.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”