RandomPiDude

Deploying simple projects takes a long time (2 min+)?

Sun May 03, 2015 5:58 am

Hi,

I'm building the sample projects (Blinky, Blinkly Headless etc), and I have a question about deploy times. It takes more than 3 min to deploy these simple projects - is this normal?

The build is very quick, but then it goes into Deploy..

------ Deploy started: Project: BlinkyWebService, Configuration: Release ARM ------
Creating a new clean layout...
Copying files: Total 16 mb to layout...
-----

And stays there for over 2 minutes. It does deploy successfully, though.

I'm on a wired network, local LAN. Copying 16MB shouldn't take so long. Does anyone know if there's something I'm doing that's slowing things down??

Heater

Re: Deploying simple projects takes a long time (2 min+)?

Sun May 03, 2015 6:03 am

Why are you having to copy 16MB anywhere just to flash a LED or whatever?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

RandomPiDude

Sun May 03, 2015 6:10 am

That's the sample project - I haven't touched anything, just copied the code and built it. I guess .Net just takes that much? I'm not an expert on .Net, perhaps someone with more experience can chime in?

DougieLawson

Sun May 03, 2015 8:57 am

Heater wrote:Why are you having to copy 16MB anywhere just to flash a LED or whatever?
It's Windows bloat being sent by FTP. It looks like a complete C# run-time package gets transferred for every application.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

pauldy

Sun May 03, 2015 3:17 pm

It isn't the file transfer taking that long it's what is being done on the other end. Instead of just uploading a program and running it on the other end MS is doing other things when it receives the file and that is what is taking so long. I'm hoping much of it comes out before they release. I might be side loading this device but I don't need or want the same types of trusted computing controls I might find on my phone. We will see right now it's still to much an alpha to get to worked up about it.

I also question if all cores are being utilized some of my tests make me hope not or this won't be nearly as useful as just droping rasbian on there and running mono.

Heater

Sun May 03, 2015 3:26 pm

From reading all the recent threads and posts here I suspect "Windows 10 for IoT" should have been set up under "bare metal" rather than have it's own privileged sub-forum. Or perhaps "Other Languages" under "programming", or "Other" under "operating systems".

eggster

Sun May 03, 2015 4:16 pm

I agree, deploying a small HelloWorld project to the RPi2 takes a long amount of time. It does not seem to matter if the host win10 machine is on WiFi or a wired (LAN) connection. Hopefully Microsoft can improve this process in future IoT builds.

Heater

Sun May 03, 2015 4:48 pm

eggster,
Hopefully Microsoft can improve this process in future IoT builds.
I'm curious, why do you hope that? Why not just use what works now? What is the big attraction here?

Some might say I'm "trolling", but honestly I don't get the idea. What am I missing?

RudyB

Sun May 03, 2015 6:20 pm

I must agree, i find the speed of the entire process also very slow.

But keep in mind it is just a pre-release where not all PI hardware is supported, and you are developing on a pre-release of Windows 10 with a release candidate of visual studio 2015. ;)

Microsoft products are also famous for there large sizes and lots of (bload) overhead.

I also hope speed will improve a lot, because i do like the instant full screen graphics possibility and the possibility to program in c#.

Lakritzator

Mon May 04, 2015 9:04 am

Make sure you have the check-box for ".NET Native" disabled, I don't remember the exact name but it is somewhere in the build settings. When this is enabled, Visual Studio will compile "natively" for the target platform while packaging your application. Enabling this will make your application run a bit smoother, but the deployment takes ages!

davidhere40

Fri May 19, 2017 8:51 pm

I had the same problem. I finally got the build+deploy time down to 27 seconds. Annoyingly long, but manageable I guess.
The way I did it was:
1) Right click on the project and select properties
2) At the bottom of the Debug section you'll find "Keep all files on device - ...". Check that option.
3) Under Build I have "Compile for .NET Native tool chain" unchecked as someone else suggested. Not sure it makes any difference. It was the default setting for me.

I think the reason it takes so long is that it deploys frameworks and libraries that aren't normally on the original image and then removes them every single time... stupid.

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”