Stanto

Pi 2 with Win10 Boots to Coloured Blocks

Fri May 01, 2015 12:02 pm

According to the Microsoft Setup Tutorial after I have flashed my microSD card within Windows 10 using the Flash.ffu image - when I then power on my Pi the following steps happen:

I see the Windows logo
The system goes blank for a while
The system reboots

The Pi is now meant to display a blue screen with IP address details, etc. according to the setup tutorial.

This doesn't happen. Instead I see a screen with a logo in the centre made up of rectangles with multiple colours, and that's it.

It would help for me to be able to identify what its IP address is (at work it is not on the same subnet, irritatingly so I cannot use the IoT device discovery tool because it uses broadcast packets) or have it return to the state it was in previously. This is happening even when I have cleanly flashed the card.
Last edited by Stanto on Fri May 01, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jerryellis

Re: Pi 2 with Win10 Boots to Coloured Blocks

Fri May 01, 2015 1:45 pm

You might try a different power supply. In the past, an inadequate power supply has cause some strange issues for me, like reboots and displaying that box in the corner of the screen.

Stanto

Fri May 01, 2015 4:11 pm

jerryellis wrote:You might try a different power supply. In the past, an inadequate power supply has cause some strange issues for me, like reboots and displaying that box in the corner of the screen.
The power surge 'rainbow box' in the corner is entirely different to what I'm currently seeing. I do not believe this is power related.

pranishk

Fri May 01, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi,

How long are you leaving your system running before you reboot? in this initial release the first boot is pretty slow (it depends on the SD Card but for some folks this can be 10-15 minutes). There is a known issue with some cards (eg Class 4) where they unfortunately won't boot up correctly (technically they boot, but our launch application times out due to SD speed issues).

Pranish Kumar (pranishk@microsoft.com)
Microsoft Corporation

Stanto

Fri May 01, 2015 9:54 pm

pranishk wrote:Hi,
Hi Pranish.
How long are you leaving your system running before you reboot?
Sorry, but I did not mean to imply that I instigate the reboot, the Pi reboots itself as part of the setup process.
in this initial release the first boot is pretty slow (it depends on the SD Card but for some folks this can be 10-15 minutes).
I noticed. I left it and went for a meeting that lasted for an hour and it was still hung.
There is a known issue with some cards (eg Class 4) where they unfortunately won't boot up correctly (technically they boot, but our launch application times out due to SD speed issues).
That's pretty bad, why doesn't it just wait and load, what is it waiting for?

I am actually using a Class 4 SDCard. It did boot, once, but then I had to reboot the Pi due to relocating it, and on the next boot it displayed the coloured rectangular blocks again. What can I do about this problem without having a higher class of SDCard?

Also, what exactly is the screen I am seeing? What stage is it at?
There is a known issue
More importantly, could Microsoft please transparently share and list 'known issues' with the Windows 10 IoT Core build so that more people aren't so frustrated with it?

Thank you for your reply.

fruitoftheloom

Fri May 01, 2015 10:22 pm

5. A 8gb Class 10 (or better) micro SD card.

http://ms-iot.github.io/content/win10/SetupRPI.htm

So why no RTM ??

Did you read this response where it stated issues with Class4 ?

viewtopic.php?f=105&t=109093&p=750129#p750129
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit

jtanner_msft

Fri May 01, 2015 10:55 pm

Hi Stanto,

Since you'd requested here is a link to the FAQ page that we've been using to track known issues for the current release:
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... WindowsIoT
Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

Stanto

Sat May 02, 2015 1:05 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:So why no RTM ??
That isn't a manual, per say, it is a setup guide, and it doesn't give reason why for using a Class 10 SDCard or what the symptoms of not doing so would be (one of my SDCards also claims to be a Class10 but performs like a Class 6, go figure). A statement that it is a 'known issue' means that the symptoms are also known and so would be helpful clearly in a troubleshooting doc' / FAQ as has now been linked.
Did you read this response where it stated issues with Class4 ?
I believe you know the answer to that, and I am merely going to state to you that there's no reason why I would look at a thread titled:
No Picture Shown
When that description isn't the same as my problem. In fact, if you read the post you would see that the symptoms aren't the same, a black screen is not the same as multiple coloured blocks, as it says in the thread:
(which means the screen stays blank even after boot).
Which is not the case in my circumstance. So hopefully this explains why I did not read that thread, and assume from the title (or now post) that it was the same problem. Especially when it booted up to the expected screen at least once.
Since you'd requested here is a link to the FAQ page that we've been using to track known issues for the current release:
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... WindowsIoT
Sweet, thanks!

lbendlin

Sat May 02, 2015 2:08 am

Please also note that you seem to need a wired ethernet connection. At least I can't get it to run the Wi-Fi configuration. The driver seems to have loaded but the setup menu is not functional (just says "Wi-Fi: None found")

fruitoftheloom

Sat May 02, 2015 5:07 am

lbendlin wrote:Please also note that you seem to need a wired ethernet connection. At least I can't get it to run the Wi-Fi configuration. The driver seems to have loaded but the setup menu is not functional (just says "Wi-Fi: None found")
Bluetooth and Wireless not yet supported http://ms-iot.github.io/content/Faqs.htm
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”