ThomasS

Setup without Windows 10 PC

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:38 pm

I don't have Windows 10 on my PC so am struggling to setup Windows IoT for Pi. I'm no expert but would it be possible for someone to flash a pre-set-up SD card and upload the image so people like me can download it?
Last edited by ThomasS on Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThomasS

joan

Re: Setup without Windwos 10 PC

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:41 pm

ThomasS wrote:I don't have Windows 10 on my PC so am struggling to setup Windows IoT for Pi. I'm no expert but would it be possible for someone to flash a pre-set-up SD card and upload the image so people like me can download it?
Wouldn't that be illegal?

ThomasS

Re: Setup without Windows 10 PC

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:47 pm

Perhaps (if so I'm not advising it!) - like I said I'm no expert - , but it can be done with Raspbian can't it? Or is that different because Raspbian is open-source?
ThomasS

joan

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:51 pm

ThomasS wrote:Perhaps (if so I'm not advising it!) - like I said I'm no expert - , but it can be done with Raspbian can't it? Or is that different because Raspbian is open-source?
I had the impression that the Windows 10 IoT had quite an onerous EULA to which you have to agree. I'm not sure how that would work with an unrestricted download.

ThomasS

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:53 pm

Oh well :( . Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll have to wait until the desktop version of Windows 10 is released so I can update my PC.
ThomasS

pranishk

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:56 pm

Today you do require a Windows 10 PC to create an SD Card for the Windows 10 IoT Core for Raspberry Pi 2 image. We are working on ways to make this release available directly, but don't have anything in place today. Appreciate the feedback.

Pranish Kumar (pranishk@microsoft.com)
Microsoft Corporation

ThomasS

Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:01 pm

pranishk wrote:Today you do require a Windows 10 PC to create an SD Card for the Windows 10 IoT Core for Raspberry Pi 2 image. We are working on ways to make this release available directly, but don't have anything in place today. Appreciate the feedback.

Microsoft Corporation
Great news! Thank you! Do you have any idea of a time scale or not?
ThomasS

pranishk

Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:17 pm

We don't have committed timing yet; we have some plans that should resolve in the summer (so still several months away) and we're in some discussions about approaches that could expedite this (but nothing locked yet).

I wish I could give you some more concrete information, but unfortunately we're not at that point yet (although the more folks who ask the more emphasis there will be on solving this in the short term).

Microsoft Corporation

ThomasS

Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:19 pm

pranishk wrote:We don't have committed timing yet; we have some plans that should resolve in the summer (so still several months away) and we're in some discussions about approaches that could expedite this (but nothing locked yet).

I wish I could give you some more concrete information, but unfortunately we're not at that point yet (although the more folks who ask the more emphasis there will be on solving this in the short term).

Microsoft Corporation
No problem. Thanks anyway for the info.
ThomasS

mikronauts

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:36 pm

Hi Pranish,

Configure an SD card on a Windows 10 pc

on a Linux box in your lab:

sudo dd if=/dev/sdX of=win10.img bs=1M

where X is the /dev/sdX the flash card shows up on

gzip win10.img

make the win10.img.gz available for download

I registered to your IoT program, and will try it out however the more hoops I need to jump to (installing Win10 preview, etc) the longer it is before I will have time to try it.

I will be trying Win10 preview in the future... I am just saying if Microsoft wants to make it easy for people to try Win10 IoT with a Pi, the easier they make installation, the more people will give it a spin.

Best Regards,

Bill

p.s.

I realize Win10Iot will still need Visual Studio express, but if an image could be flashed, it saves a step
pranishk wrote:Today you do require a Windows 10 PC to create an SD Card for the Windows 10 IoT Core for Raspberry Pi 2 image. We are working on ways to make this release available directly, but don't have anything in place today. Appreciate the feedback.

Microsoft Corporation
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

mckenzba

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:34 pm

mikronauts wrote:Hi Pranish,

Configure an SD card on a Windows 10 pc

on a Linux box in your lab:

sudo dd if=/dev/sdX of=win10.img bs=1M

where X is the /dev/sdX the flash card shows up on

gzip win10.img

make the win10.img.gz available for download

I registered to your IoT program, and will try it out however the more hoops I need to jump to (installing Win10 preview, etc) the longer it is before I will have time to try it.

I will be trying Win10 preview in the future... I am just saying if Microsoft wants to make it easy for people to try Win10 IoT with a Pi, the easier they make installation, the more people will give it a spin.

Best Regards,

Bill

p.s.

I realize Win10Iot will still need Visual Studio express, but if an image could be flashed, it saves a step
Unfortunately I think the problem that Pranish is explaining is a little more complicated than that. Given that this is Microsoft, they are probably still working on licensing terms for Windows IoT so that they can make it available as a standalone product (just a guess). I'm also guessing that they desire to take a more "official" approach and are working on an installer that will run on Windows 10/8.x/7 once it becomes available as a standalone product.

Robpol86

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:32 pm

I was close to getting this working from my OS X physical PC with a Windows 10 VM, but dism.exe on anything but the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview is missing a mandatory command line option. Using the latest Windows 10 I was able to setup my Raspberry Pi using my Mac.

* Install virtualbox and Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack on your host (Mac in this case).
* Install Windows 10 Insider Preview in that virtualbox.
* Shut down Win10 and enable USB 2.0 EHCI in the VM's settings in virtualbox (on the host).
* After Win10 boots back up, insert a USB SD Card reader on your mac, and enable it in Virtualbox. Windows 10 should now see the SD card.
* Follow the usual steps Microsoft provided to create the image.
* Done.

Since Windows 10 Insider Preview and Virtualbox are both free, all of these steps won't require you to buy anything (except a USB sdcard reader, not sure if Macbook sdcard slots will work the same).

Edit: Verified that these steps worked for me.
Last edited by Robpol86 on Fri May 01, 2015 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

pranishk

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:56 pm

Yes for this initial release you need a version of DISM that only works with Windows 10 Insider Preview, but we will be making the installation more flexible soon!

Microsoft Corporation

SeanHavins

Fri May 01, 2015 3:35 am

FYI:
The latest version of VirtualBox will allow you to create a virtual machine that is comparable with the latest Windows 10 preview.

I am running VirtualBox on my Mac and have just created a VM and installed Windows10_InsiderPreview_x64_EN-US_10074 on it.
It went all the way through the install and I am now in the final configuration steps.
(Explorer.exe tried to access nonexistent memory location but setup continued)

It completed successfully so I would say that using VirtualBox and the latest Insider Preview of Win10, you should be able to get Win10 IoT on a Raspberry Pi2.

I will try the next steps this weekend.

==============

Edit:
Just read Robpol86's post above. So my post is really just a "me to". :-P

pauldy

Fri May 01, 2015 6:35 am

For what it's worth you do need a usb stick on mac desktops the internal will not work in any vm as it is connected to the PCIe bus. Laptops so far are on the use bus and should be fine. Distributing an installed image is against the Eula if you read it. Anyone can get up and going right now with win10 you just have to follow the instructions and not skip around there are all kinds of Eula's to accept and if you don't some downloads won't be available for you were they otherwise would be.

arthurcurvello

Fri May 01, 2015 9:29 am

I could install (apply the image) using only the DISM from the windows 10 media (sources folder).
No need for windows 10 OS installed!

FaKe

Fri May 01, 2015 1:30 pm

arthurcurvello wrote:I could install (apply the image) using only the DISM from the windows 10 media (sources folder).
No need for windows 10 OS installed!
That works. Thanks. Used the 10074 Build.

lbendlin

Sat May 02, 2015 2:04 am

Alternatively you can install the Windows 10 ADK TP and use DISM from there.

MikeAtWeaved

Sat May 02, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi everyone: The following recipe to get a Windows 10 SD card for the RPi worked for me on Windows 7, with no VMs or anything, and should work with pretty much any Windows version. Still working on easiest way on the Mac.

1. You get the RPi2 Flash.ffu file from http://connect.microsoft.com/windowsemb ... adID=57782 ffu is a flash format used by Nokia and I'm guessing the Nokia folks are doing this MSFT IoT work.

2. Use a tool called ImageMnt to mount the .ffu image to a virtual drive. From http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2066903 This worked for me on Windows 7 with install of runtime dll msvcp110 at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=30679
I had to fiddle with "Run as Admin" etc. Open command window, drag ImageMnt.exe to get the exe path, type space, drag Flash.ffu to get the image path. You will see ImageMnt load the .ffu, issue message about creating a VHD, and create a File Explorer tmp window. There will appear to be nothing in it.

3. Use DiskInternals Linux Reader from http://www.diskinternals.com/download/ You should see a 7.2Gb Virtual Disk. Select > Right Click > Create Image. This will write Virtual Disk.dsk

4 Rename Virtual Disk.dsk to VirtualDisk.dsk and use Win32DiskImager from http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32di ... s/Archive/ to write SD card. You will see your volume EFIESP with 12 items, 2 folders: EFI and Windows. Insert SD card in RPi2.

This was by far the easiest way to go for me. MSFT ffu tools are buried inside huge System Kits which seem impossible to download (I kept getting hash mismatches on the documentation file in ADK 10, and ADK 8.1 doesn't seem to have the tool needed).

Disclaimer: I work for Weaved. I don't normally post anywhere, but this was a tough one. The RPi folks in Cambridge were really nice to us at the Birthday Party so I hope this helps someone.

John_

Sat May 02, 2015 2:14 pm

I posted another solution for install under windows 7 here: viewtopic.php?f=105&t=109160 It does not require you to install anything so keeps your Windows 7 pc clean.

Interesting to see several people finding solutions, but yet MIcrosoft decided to go the hard way. Given the solution I found, It would have been very easy for MS to just make a small setup kit with the files required to run dism.exe on W8 and W7. Apparently copying them from the Windows 10 pc version is sufficient.

lenz

Sat May 02, 2015 2:43 pm

I don't post any solution. I only post image for Win32Diskimager viewtopic.php?p=750628#p750628

bandicoot

Mon May 04, 2015 4:58 pm

Can that image be just copied to the SD card like any other?
I don't have Windows.

Douglas6

Mon May 04, 2015 6:20 pm

Be aware that it's almost certainly illegal.

DougieLawson

Mon May 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Douglas6 wrote:Be aware that it's almost certainly illegal.
Also without Visual Studio to build and deploy applications it's bordering on useless.

I've not tried to build something with mono, deploy it to the RPi (through the web interface) and run it.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Douglas6

Mon May 04, 2015 6:51 pm

My question is, can you load VS 2015 on a native Win7 environment (no VirtualBox) and build and deploy to Win IoT 10?

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”