liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:33 am

Apparently so. I'm hoping that some devs from MS will be joining us later on today, so they'll be able to answer questions!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

tohipfortheroom

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:03 pm

VoIP2Go wrote:Thanks for the video. I'm a Windows developer, so this topic is of interest to me. Am I right in thinking that once you have developed a Widows Forms application in Visual Studio, you can install it onto the Win 10 Pi and it will run just as if it were on a 'regular' Windows PC?
Exactly like it would on a windows PC

topguy

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:09 pm

VoIP2Go wrote:Am I right in thinking that once you have developed a Widows Forms application in Visual Studio, you can install it onto the Win 10 Pi and it will run just as if it were on a 'regular' Windows PC?
Since the "things" in "Internet of Things" usually don't have a monitor or screen (or keyboard or mouse). My guess is "no" or "not yet", but its just a guess.

panik

Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:10 pm

The 'Docs and Samples' page gives an idea of what they're trying to do: http://ms-iot.github.io/content/win10/StartCoding.htm

Since it needs a Windows 10 PC to program and deploy everything, it seems quite the step backwards from what we've already been doing for years with the open source tools we know and love on the Pi itself.
liz wrote:I'm hoping that some devs from MS will be joining us later on today, so they'll be able to answer questions!
I really hope so too, because as it is now I don't understand anything of it.
Microcontroller addon boards and software for Raspberry Pi A+/B+/Pi2:
- ARMinARM: ARM Cortex-M3 (STM32)
- AVRPi: ATmega32U4 & ATmega328 ("Arduino")
http://www.onandoffables.com

tohipfortheroom

Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:15 pm

Yeah you need to be running windows 10 build 10069 or higher to communicate with the raspberry pi

I would agree it does seem like a step backwards, but it allows us to small scale test our apps before deploying them,

fruitoftheloom

Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:18 pm

tohipfortheroom wrote:Yeah you need to be running windows 10 build 10069 or higher to communicate with the raspberry pi

I would agree it does seem like a step backwards, but it allows us to small scale test our apps before deploying them,
It is best to download / install latest W10 Preview from ISO then " Fast Update" to version 10074 released yesterday ;)
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

pranishk

Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:06 pm

Yes the development model we're focused on is one where you build a Universal Windows Application and then deploy this to your Raspberry Pi 2 (which can run in headless or headed mode). At this point we're focusing on enabling the development of IoT style devices which tend to be fixed/limited function (ie the application is also the "shell"). These same applications will work on your PC (or phone) so you can actually do your testing and debugging on whichever device that you prefer.

While our development experience is optimized for a Windows 10 PC (and the preview release requires Windows 10 PC for programming the image as well) there is no runtime dependency on a Windows 10 PC.

I encourage you to check out some of the projects we've posted at www.windowsondevices.com to start getting a feel for the capabilities of the system. This is a very early release, so please provide us feedback and we'll incorporate it in our regular updates.

Pranish Kumar (pranishk@microsoft.com)
Microsoft Corporation

cyrano

Fri May 01, 2015 12:33 am

Will this tie in later with the release of the Visual Code IDE for OSX and Linux or is that a separate project for you?

robo-bal

Fri May 01, 2015 9:19 pm

tohipfortheroom wrote:Yeah I finally after a couple hours got the powershell to work, I'm downloading visual studio again... Then I'm installing the os and then I'm going to make another video so I can show you guys what it's like

How did you get powershell to work? I'm stuck!

tohipfortheroom

Fri May 01, 2015 9:24 pm

ill pm you

jtanner_msft

Fri May 01, 2015 11:06 pm

You can create a Universal Application (UAP) that will run on Windows 10 IoT Core, or you can also build a C++ Console application.

Here is a page with a number of samples you can look at to get an idea of what types of development is supported:
http://ms-iot.github.io/content/win10/StartCoding.htm

So while you can't just port over a standard Win32 winforms application, there's a decent chance you'd be able to offer what it did as a UAP application.

I hope that helps,
~Jonathan Tanner [MSFT]
Jonathan Tanner | Microsoft | Windows 10 IoT Core Insider Preview Support | This posting is provided 'as is' with no warranties and confers no rights.

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”