tohipfortheroom
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 pm

Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:37 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AecW6QD ... outu.be&ac

I'm goofy so don't laugh at me but this is a first boot of windows 10 for the raspberry pi

tohipfortheroom
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:14 am

yeah its pretty unbelievable, so I got it to boot but you have to use powershell to "activate" it, and the password they give you doesn't seem to work.... why does this have to be so hard :evil:

adlambert

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:10 am

Thanks for showing us. I've gone through the link and it looks like not only Pi and Galileo are supported, but also Minnowboard (with an Intel CPU) and some of the Arduino family too. I will be experimenting this weekend to see what it can do.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 18507
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:18 am

adlambert wrote:Thanks for showing us. I've gone through the link and it looks like not only Pi and Galileo are supported, but also Minnowboard (with an Intel CPU) and some of the Arduino family too. I will be experimenting this weekend to see what it can do.
http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/04/30/ ... wboard-max
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit

User avatar
AndyD
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:13 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact: Website

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:21 am

Thanks for the video. I will be interested to see the next stage.

adlambert

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:34 am

AndyD wrote:Thanks for the video. I will be interested to see the next stage.
The next stage will not be too interesting, similar to developing a basic Arduino app you would create an app using Visual Studio on a PC running Windows 10 preview, then upload it to the Pi running Win10 IoT and maybe blink an LED or something. Also you can remote control it using Powershell.

tohipfortheroom
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:01 am

Yeah I finally after a couple hours got the powershell to work, I'm downloading visual studio again... Then I'm installing the os and then I'm going to make another video so I can show you guys what it's like

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 18507
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:28 am

tohipfortheroom wrote:Yeah I finally after a couple hours got the powershell to work, I'm downloading visual studio again... Then I'm installing the os and then I'm going to make another video so I can show you guys what it's like
Yes but basically W10 running on the RPi is just a a glorified RDP / SSH / VNC, it is not able to do anything useful standalone and though interesting only of interest to developers ;)
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit

tohipfortheroom
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:31 am

well I'm a terrible developer so its awesome for me

Heater
Posts: 10808
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:33 am

tohipfortheroom
I have been waiting for this to come out for so long...
I have to ask: Why for goodness sake?

Have you seriously been yearning for a closed source proprietary operating system? Do you miss the lock-in of your desk top machine? What possible point is there in this for you?

Have we not learned anything from decades of MS dependence on the desktop? From the decades of using close operating systems on embedded systems?

Do we really want our things on the internet owned by some corporation?

MarkHaysHarris777
Why in the world would anyone want to take something beautiful (like the Raspberry PI) and mix it up with the Microsoft corporation?
My sentiments exactly. There is something deeply distasteful about all this.
Last edited by Heater on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

tohipfortheroom
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:37 am

I guess they've just won me back with windows ten, I'm excited about developing for there platform like I was when first learned about Linux

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 18507
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:43 am

This is in truth nothing to do with the Raspberry Pi par-se.

Calling it Windows 10 on a RPi is very misleading.

It is no different than programming a controller or similar.

Without a Windows 10 PC this Operating System has no value.

Should this really be discussed in the Raspberry Pi Forums ? Who knows who cares ?


Personally I can understand Microsofts reason for choosing the RPi2 B and would rather see this topic discussed on a Microsoft Tech. Forum.
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit

ninjacut
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:10 am

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:48 am

Same here, the Windows 10, Azure story is too compelling to ignore whatever the reason for prior distaste. They platforms and services, not users and devices. Apart from IOT, am looking forward to Hololens as well.

User avatar
joan
Posts: 13662
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:50 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:This is in truth nothing to do with the Raspberry Pi par-se.

Calling it Windows 10 on a RPi is very misleading.

It is no different than programming a controller or similar.

Without a Windows 10 PC this Operating System has no value.

Should this really be discussed in the Raspberry Pi Forums ? Who knows who cares ?


Personally I can understand Microsofts reason for choosing the RPi2 B and would rather see this topic discussed on a Microsoft Tech. Forum.
I don't think much was expected of Windows 10 IoT but the actual delivery has underachieved on my low expectations.

Like the original announcement a lot of hype will be generated for a few days and then it will disappear from our screens.

tohipfortheroom
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:02 am

here is I guess you could call it part two of my windows 10 on the raspberry pi videos, now that I seen what this operating system truly is, I'm excited for developing, but damn the media was misleading, today during the keynote on twitter people were so excited for this, but its gonna break some hearts because its not a full operating system, which I knew but I was atleast expecting a GUI and a couple apps, this is truly only for developers, there is no desktop, there are no live titles there is only a a device info screen, the rest of the device is only usable from a another development device, sorry folks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv0e065 ... outu.be&ac

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 21319
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:07 am

tohipfortheroom wrote:here is I guess you could call it part two of my windows 10 on the raspberry pi videos, now that I seen what this operating system truly is, I'm excited for developing, but damn the media was misleading, today during the keynote on twitter people were so excited for this, but its gonna break some hearts because its not a full operating system, which I knew but I was atleast expecting a GUI and a couple apps, this is truly only for developers, there is no desktop, there are no live titles there is only a a device info screen, the rest of the device is only usable from a another development device, sorry folks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv0e065 ... outu.be&ac
Er, didn't we already know that? It's always been stated this is the IoT version of Win10, which doesn't have a desktop.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

tohipfortheroom
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:16 am

My point is people that actually did there research on the iot version knew that it wasn't going to have a desktop, what I'm saying is the media stated windows 10 so everyone assumes it's going to be a scaled a down version of windows 10 when in fact it's a completely different OS all together, I couldn't be happier, I don't have a lot of devices to deploy my build images on and this is definitely going to be a great way to test those, but I feel sad for the many people who are expecting this to be a "replacement PC" or whatever you wanna call it

tohipfortheroom
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:34 am

Does it matter what operating system you're building for if your still developing software, wasn't that the aim of the raspberry pi in the first place to be a affordable development board for which users could build code for, I'm not a huge Microsoft fan or anything, but if it gets people to learn how to code and develop apps I think it's very raspberry pi related no matter your view point, it's brother I guess you could say would be the snappy ubuntu core they have many similar features, both have cloud capabilities, both can be used for developing, I'm just saying would you be this critical if this a Linux based OS?

User avatar
joan
Posts: 13662
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:36 am

tohipfortheroom wrote:Does it matter what operating system you're building for if your still developing software, wasn't that the aim of the raspberry pi in the first place to be a affordable development board for which users could build code for, I'm not a huge Microsoft fan or anything, but if it gets people to learn how to code and develop apps I think it's very raspberry pi related no matter your view point, it's brother I guess you could say would be the snappy ubuntu core they have many similar features, both have cloud capabilities, both can be used for developing, I'm just saying would you be this critical if this a Linux based OS?
This post has been moved to the Windows IoT forum. Your last post is now off topic.

adlambert

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:56 am

fruitoftheloom wrote: I will say again IMO this should not be discussed here, it is not relevant to learning computing as was the stated aims of the RPF. It is purely Microsoft App Development.
Whilst there is no Windows 10 IoT forum section under the Operating System Distributions are of these forums, I guess an Operating System that runs on the Raspberry Pi and has been endorsed by Eben himself really ought to be disussed on Raspberrry Pi forums.

There is plenty of computing that can be learned on Windows of any variety and IoT is a very current subject.

Personally, I am OS agnostic, but I preferred things when the moderators put a stop to these polarised OS threads where people tried to impose their own loyalties.

tohipfortheroom
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:57 am

Understandable, I was just wondering,

Well I didn't start this post to try and sell you guys anything or claim that the windows 10 is this perfect system I merly wanted to show you guys want was just released for the raspberry pi

I feel like I'm being attacked on here because this is such a dislike for windows, anyways everyone that's commented so far has had a lot of useful information to contribute. I just hope this post wasn't in vain, like I hope I was able to inform people that windows ten on the pi isn't all the media hyper it up to be, it's just a windows development board, that's all I'm trying to contribute information to the mislead lol

adlambert

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:59 am

tohipfortheroom wrote:Understandable, I was just wondering,

Well I didn't start this post to try and sell you guys anything or claim that the windows 10 is this perfect system I merly wanted to show you guys want was just released for the raspberry pi

I feel like I'm being attacked on here because this is such a dislike for windows, anyways everyone that's commented so far has had a lot of useful information to contribute. I just hope this post wasn't in vain, like I hope I was able to inform people that windows ten on the pi isn't all the media hyper it up to be, it's just a windows development board, that's all I'm trying to contribute information to the mislead lol
You are fine, carry on as you are, do not be bullied.
People who talk about free choice really should start close to home.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 21319
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:59 am

To all posters - please read the sticky at top of forum before you post again.

Thread trimmed of cruft.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 21319
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:04 am

adlambert wrote:
tohipfortheroom wrote:Understandable, I was just wondering,

Well I didn't start this post to try and sell you guys anything or claim that the windows 10 is this perfect system I merely wanted to show you guys want was just released for the raspberry pi

I feel like I'm being attacked on here because this is such a dislike for windows, anyways everyone that's commented so far has had a lot of useful information to contribute. I just hope this post wasn't in vain, like I hope I was able to inform people that windows ten on the pi isn't all the media hyper it up to be, it's just a windows development board, that's all I'm trying to contribute information to the mislead lol
You are fine, carry on as you are, do not be bullied.
People who talk about free choice really should start close to home.
I have trimmed posts that I regard as attacking or similar. This topic always polarises people.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

VoIP2Go
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:44 am

Re: Video of windows ten on raspberry pi

Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:50 am

Thanks for the video. I'm a Windows developer, so this topic is of interest to me. Am I right in thinking that once you have developed a Widows Forms application in Visual Studio, you can install it onto the Win 10 Pi and it will run just as if it were on a 'regular' Windows PC?

Return to “Windows 10 for IoT”