RAGING MR.CLEAN

Astro Pi Help

Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:52 pm

I'm a college student and for a project we are launching a balloon satellite at the end of the month. I am using a raspberry pi 2 with sense HAT. The issue I have is how can I do 1 of 2 things

1. Record data while ascending and descending
OR
2. Be able to communicate with the Pi as to prompt the commands and record data myself

I am currently combing through the forum for help and searching online but if anyone can help and/or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks- Rob

daveake

Re: Astro Pi Help

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:43 pm

> I'm a college student and for a project we are launching a balloon satellite at the end of the month.

Did this happen (end of the month is gone)?

> I am using a raspberry pi 2 with sense HAT.

I'd use an A+ as it requires a lot less power.

> The issue I have is how can I do 1 of 2 things
> 1. Record data while ascending and descending

Trivial. Use the Sense HAT Python library to read the sensors, and write the values to a file.

> OR
> 2. Be able to communicate with the Pi as to prompt the commands and record data myself

Possible but not in the time you have, or had.

You have mentioned the how to track the balloon, which is by far the most important aspect to get right and easiest to get wrong. Off-the-shelf GSM/GPS trackers are a poor (unreliable) option; the Spot trackers are better but expensive. Best option by far is a radio link, which the Pi can help you with.

This might help (if it's not too late) http://www.daveakerman.com/?p=1732

Dave

Return to “Astro Pi”