ctrlw

Video magnifier for low vision

Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:01 am

Need a Christmas present for someone with reduced vision, or want to build a Raspberry Pi video magnifier over the holidays?

I’ve just done that with a Pi camera, and shared the description on my blog: http://www.fhack.org/2018/12/19/raspber ... fier-2018/

Such a low vision reader can help e.g. elderly people with macular degeneration to get rid of hovering a magnifying glass when reading.

It supports switching between different levels of magnification with a single push button, or full control including colour inversion for white on black reading.

My post describes 2 different setups, but the fun part is probably to make up your own.

I’d be happy if this helps anyone, so please give feedback, notify me of stuff I missed, as well as your results and ideas.

Happy holidays!
Markus

ross43729

Re: Video magnifier for low vision

Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:50 pm

Hi Markus,
I posted a reply on the fhacks.org page in July, but didn't have a photo to post or know how to add a photo to
VideoMagnifier_v1.png
VideoMagnifier_v1.png (100.33 KiB) Viewed 241 times
a reply there. A photo of the lamp-mounted camera is included here. I didn't use the read-only script because I wanted to retain the option of editing the configuration later, but the card seems to have become corrupted. I will visit soon to replace the card with a version set to read-only (except when GPIO pin 21 is grounded), and try an adjustable focus camera from Arducam in place of the stock v1 Rpi camera module.

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”